Choosing formula for 6 month old?

(17 Posts)
Angelico Fri 01-Mar-13 21:04:18

Hi. DD is just over 5 months and still BF. But from 6 months I want to reduce BFing to a couple of feeds a day (mainly because DD will be in crèche more - I am currently expressing a bottle for each crèche day but can't face having to do 2 or 3 a day!).

Plan will be to introduce some solids and also some formula. Follow on milk sounds a bit of a con - keep reading that infant milk is fine. My question is: are there any particular brands people can recommend? Preferably whatever is easiest to make up! smile

mousebacon Fri 01-Mar-13 22:43:10

I use the ready made hipp organic stuff smile

5madthings Fri 01-Mar-13 22:45:53

No need for follow on milk.

I also use hipp organic formula, because it is organic... But they are all much of a muchness smile

Angelico Fri 01-Mar-13 23:10:43

Thanks! mouse where do you buy the ready made stuff? Is it v expensive?

madthings if you are using the powder do you have to faff about with boiled water cooled to 70 degrees or whatever?! Or can you just make it up with cooled boiled water?

mousebacon Fri 01-Mar-13 23:24:59

Nope. 90p a bottle (500ml) in asda. 98p in waitrose. The only slight problem I've had is that it's not in every shop. Boots sell it too - £1.15 so I've never had a problem getting it, it's just a faff if I run out!

You can get a powdered version too for about £7/8.

Happy shopping grin

mousebacon Fri 01-Mar-13 23:26:22

I'm still breastfeeding too by the way. DS started at the cm this week and he's taken to the formula with ease. He's nearly nine months.

Angelico Fri 01-Mar-13 23:27:24

Great thanks mouse! BTW is 500mls about 2 bottles? Would one 500ml bottle a day be enough with 2-3 BFs and some water?

Afaik all powdered formulas need boiled water.

But it doesnt have to be 70C. It has to be atleast 70C.

Boil the kettle and about 10 minutes later make the bottle.

We use Cow and Gate. And follow on milks are a con that the companies use to get around the laws on promoting first stage formula.

Angelico Fri 01-Mar-13 23:28:45

Also mouse is it follow on milk? Or infant?

Angelico Fri 01-Mar-13 23:30:05

Yeah that's what google seemed to be saying wannabe, thanks. Sneaky milk companies!

5madthings Fri 01-Mar-13 23:31:14

I use the powder and I make it boiled water that is above 70deg then I rapidly cool it by putting it in a bowl if cold water with the cold gasp running into the bowl.

If you make it and rapidly cool it you can then keep it in the fridge and warm when needed but my dd only has two bottles a day so I just make it fresh when she needs it morning and evening smile

MajaBiene Fri 01-Mar-13 23:32:47

The one benefit of follow on is that it is cheaper.

500ml is probably 2-3 bottles worth and more than enough for a day for a 6 month old who is also getting 2 breastfeeds.

I would choose whichever formula you can buy at your nearest shop.

Angelico Fri 01-Mar-13 23:34:25

This is really helpful, thanks! Looking at Hipp premade on Amazon and they seem to do a subscribe and save thing too with free delivery grin

5madthings Fri 01-Mar-13 23:35:22

It may be cheaper but it often has extra iron in and can make babies constipated.

mousebacon Fri 01-Mar-13 23:35:56
mousebacon Fri 01-Mar-13 23:38:30

There's a 1, a 2 and a 4 as well. I think the '4' variety are constantly though as baby can go onto cows milk from 12 months and won't need 'special' milk. Just make sure you're providing an iron rich diet via weaning.

mousebacon Fri 01-Mar-13 23:39:16

Gah! That should say a con not constantly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now