Baby teething, can't/won't BF

(4 Posts)
Gintonic Fri 01-Mar-13 20:36:18

Having a BFing crisis today, my 8 mo is teething and can't suck long enough for me to let down. He is biting really hard. He has missed the last 2 feeds so have just given formula which he drank down no problem. Wondering if now is the time to give up BF? Anyone got any advice? I have tried giving teething rings, bonjela and calpol before feeds but it has made no difference. <battered nipple emoticon>

I had this. she figured it out after a couple of days and all was well with the world! someone suggested bongela on your now to deaden the pain but I never needed it in the end.

DS used to do this too but it didn't last more than a week. I gave him water and he did feed in the night a lot as seemed to be better when half asleep. Didn't really feed in the day at all.

I think that the gels are not great when breast feeding as the numbing sensation makes it hard for baby to breast feed. Maybe stop using them if they don't make a difference anyway?

Gintonic Mon 04-Mar-13 22:19:35

Sorry I haven't been back but thanks for the advice - you were right, it was really bad for a couple of days but now is much better. Still the occasional nibble but it is manageable.

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now