Cheap pump hire?

(12 Posts)
ghoulelocks Fri 01-Mar-13 13:48:40

Has anyone found a source of a cheap hire for an electric pump? I've found NCT and ardo but they are the equivalent of a weekly shop each month to hire!

I want to try again this time, ideally building up a supply before returning to work and I'm not getting on with my tomme tippie manual, I seem to need one that reaches more than the tips of my nipples! I'd maybe buy if it worked, but it's expensive to keep trying

BrianButterfield Fri 01-Mar-13 13:58:14

My local children's centre rents them out cheaply.

ghoulelocks Fri 01-Mar-13 14:05:11

Mine's closed, but thanks for replying.

Stupidly I had one and gave it to a relative who bloody sold it instead of using it.

You can go to other childrens centres there are usually a few in each area?

TwitchyTail Fri 01-Mar-13 21:22:56

How much have you been quoted? Not sure how much your weekly shop is wink but I've hired a Medela Symphony (hospital grade, works much better than the home-use Medela electric one I borrowed off someone) for £45 a month, which I believe is their standard charge. I called Medela directly, who put me in touch with a local agent to collect from.

You can buy a spectra 3 and convert to a double for about £60. It was recommended to me on here and ha as good as the hospital grade one I hired.

BadgerFace Sat 02-Mar-13 12:56:14

I hired a Medela Symphony as well and found it to be a good double pump but I personally found double pumping to be a bit of a faff so I only hired it for two weeks to help increase my supply in the beginning (as we had issues establishing feeding).

I've also used a Medela Swing since birth which I think is a very good electric pump. I was pumping 8 times a day for the first few weeks, although have now reduced to once a day and about 200ml. They are quite pricy new (£90) but you can probably get one on ebay for less. I bought one for £45 on a local forum.

ghoulelocks Sat 02-Mar-13 20:01:39

yep, the £45-50 is the weekly shop amount I've seen! Thanks for replies, it looks like saving and buying is the way forward I guess.

I used the Symphony when dd was admitted at 1 1/2 weeks but it was a bit early on to say how efficient it was. I ended up just bf anyway as it was such a bloody faff, they seemed to want bottles so they knew exactly what was going in and expressing was a compromise but I found direct feeding easier (they said she couldn't as she was so sleepy, but dd is good at eating whilst asleep!)

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 03-Mar-13 01:11:28

I second the spectra 3. I've recommended it tons on here and had good feedback too :-) very reasonable price and a great pump to boot!

I think it may have been you that recommended it to me, izzy!

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 03-Mar-13 22:09:03

More than likely bunty and I recognised your name when I read the thread some think so! I love it. Have just expressed off two 6oz bottles for my freezer stock :-)

Well, thanks again, I love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now