4 hourly feeds?

(7 Posts)
meganw Wed 27-Feb-13 15:10:34

My DD2 is 15 weeks and a few days. She is FF for various reasons and eats anything from 5-7 oz in a bottle (as she wishes) and sleeps 12-13 hours through the night. More often than not, she still demands food 3 hourly (now and again she goes 4 if she's drunk a lot). I think this is fine, but I'm being told by several people that she should be going 4 hourly by about 4 months. What is the reason for this? Should I be trying to stretch her to 4 hours? (not that I know how I would!).

My first baby was breast fed until 5 months and I don't think she ever went four hours.

Loislane78 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:15:47

I probably shouldn't reply not knowing much about FF volumes but was just wondering why you'd do that ie. if she's hungry 3 hrly seems reasonable. Also if going that long at night (lucky you!) how will she take enough milk in 24 hrs as she's still a tiny wee thing.

Pascha Wed 27-Feb-13 15:19:16

I don't think there are any 'shoulds' with babies. I also have no experience of FF but surely if you're happy, she's happy, putting on weight, healthy etc then I can't see any problem with 3hrly feeding. If she was finishing each bottle every time then maybe increase the amount but if not then don't worry and don't let anyone else poke their nose in.

tiktok Wed 27-Feb-13 16:19:00

Who are the people saying this weird thing, megan???

Perhaps they would like to restrict themselves to no food or drink at all any more often than 4 hourly? Even if they are thirsty or hungry before then?

Now would be a time to practise a puzzled look and the question 'why? do you think she is not doing well as she is?' Or alternatively ,'and this is your business because......????'

meganw Wed 27-Feb-13 16:22:15

thanks everyone, I feel reassured now that I'm doing the right thing by feeding my baby when she is hungry.

I take my DD to a baby group at the local children and family centre and it was actually an 'early years worker' (not a HV) who said this, and then one of the other mums with a baby a little older than mine said her baby was going four hours, and if she doesn't then she stretches her out?!

I shall continue as I am as my baby is gaining well and we are both happy on this schedule :-)

RunningOutOfIdeas Wed 27-Feb-13 16:23:03

DD2 is 21 weeks. She usually only goes 3 hours between feeds and has 4-6oz per feed. I think DD1 was similar. I rarely go 4 hours without eating. I do better eating little and often so I don't see a problem with my DDs being similar.

tiktok Wed 27-Feb-13 17:10:57

Early years worker has gone beyond her boundaries.

Tell the HV or other manager type person, in a nice way, what she said and how it made you feel.

She could be undermining a lot of mothers sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now