I need some help please

(47 Posts)
monkeysbignuts Wed 27-Feb-13 13:04:56

My gp has told me I have to stop breastfeeding by the end of the week! My lb is 19 weeks and will take a bottle fine. I'm terrified about getting mastitis and block ducts. I have to go on meds that I can't take while breast feeding and my gp thinks I have to put my needs first urgently. So how do I do it? Any tips for stopping milk production and is there anything I can take to help? It's my 3rd baby so I'm experienced at breast feeding which worrys me that I will become very engorged

monkeysbignuts Sun 10-Mar-13 10:02:28

Happy mum makes a happy baby right smile
Definitely get some advice. I struggled with my first for 13 months and got very ill before Starting meds.
My boobs are still really sorry making milk! I think I have mastitis because I keep getting cold shivers and I feel tired and miserable. A trip the dr tomorrow I think. Got my blood test first thing.
Hope your ok? It does get better I promise x

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 09-Mar-13 21:57:45

How are the boobs today btw? Hope they have settled down a bit smile

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 09-Mar-13 21:42:47

Thanks so much for the link. Just read through it & it was useful. I will show DH & make an appointment with the GP.

Things are just getting worse and I'm feeling over whelmed a lot of the time now. I need to do something as it's really not fair on DS. I grew up with a mad mum & it was shit hmm

leedy Sat 09-Mar-13 17:50:57

The Zoloft (sertraline) mentioned in the article is marketed here as Lustral, btw.

leedy Sat 09-Mar-13 17:50:16

Oh yeah, I couldn't have managed without the drugs AT ALL. And really, especially for an older baby Sertraline is perfectly safe (other anti-depressants are also ok but that's the very safest) - I was prescribed it by the mental health team in my maternity hospital and they were very very reassuring about it being ok for BF (and I was a very anxious mother at the time), and that was when DS1 was only two months old. I fed on it for nearly a year in total including getting the dosage right and weaning off, DS1 had no ill effects whatsoever, and I was a much happier healthier person. Can you tell your DH that there's no medical reason for you not to take the meds, and how trapped and unhappy you feel?

Here's a good article you could show him:
kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02/

Hate to think of you being so unwell if there's something that might help.

Hope you're doing better too, monkeys!

monkeysbignuts Sat 09-Mar-13 16:20:49

leedy that's the one positive of being through it before, I know I will get better! & as the baby gets older it becomes easier too.
Seriously you can safely take sertraline while breastfeeding. You have to look after yourself as well as your lo. My first baby wouldn't take a bottle and I breastfed him for 12 months. Could he have normal milk at 12 months?
I started meds as soon as I stopped feeding him.
I don't know how your managing without. Big hugs xx

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 09-Mar-13 14:26:01

I'm pleased to hear that as I am really struggling today. DS is 11 months and my first. I hate the relentlessness of motherhood and I'm shit at it. I've just shouted at him because he won't nap hmmPoor little guy can't help it but I'm losing my mind with it all.

My DH doesn't want me to BF while taking anti-depressants but DS has a CMPI & won't take neocate so I'm stuck. I feel trapped in some sort of nightmare which nobody understands.

leedy Sat 09-Mar-13 11:04:56

My DS1 was copiously cried over as a baby by a mad mother and it doesn't seem to have affected him at all. smile And yes, you will get better!

monkeysbignuts Sat 09-Mar-13 10:37:46

I feel like that about my kids sad
How old is your ds?
I was really bad after my first and he's none the wiser ;) I doubt they will remember and we will get better! It took about 4 months to get back to normal once I got my meds right last time. That was with a cock up in the middle too.
Hope your ok today xx

Seriouslysleepdeprived Fri 08-Mar-13 20:16:16

It really is. I feel like I just dragging myself through the days at the moment. Everything is such an effort. I feel really bad for DS that this has happened. Little guy deserves better really hmm

Ibuprofen always helps when I've had blocked ducts. Have you tried cabbage leaves? My GP swears by them.

monkeysbignuts Fri 08-Mar-13 19:53:33

I have no idea how long it will take sad
I can feel some blocked ducts so worried about mastitis now to.
Sorry you're not feeling good to. It so hard to function properly some days isn't it. I struggle to brush my hair and teeth some days

Seriouslysleepdeprived Fri 08-Mar-13 19:24:24

Oh no hmm Being so ill is not what you need on top of everything else. How long do you have to take them for? Are they working? Must be really tough having to stop so abruptly.hope you're not feeling too crappy.

I have had a rubbish week too. Been in tears on & off all day. It feels like there's no end to this sometimes. Thank god it's the weekend...

monkeysbignuts Fri 08-Mar-13 13:15:33

Having a rough time sad baby decided not to have boob anymore and I had to start bromocriptine to stop my milk supply, theside are horrible sad
Been vomiting and had dizzy spells.
Hope you guys are doing well?
Started my prozac and praying it kicks in soon x

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 05-Mar-13 21:03:40

Me too...it's tough this PND business. Hope you are back on your feet soonsmile

leedy Tue 05-Mar-13 18:28:33

Oh yay, glad to hear you're doing better.

monkeysbignuts Tue 05-Mar-13 18:09:13

Hey feeling lots better the last few days. Baby is starting to reject boob and preferring the bottle, Down to 2 short feeds a day now. Really don't want to get engorged again so going to do it slow!
Thanks for asking xx

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 05-Mar-13 10:13:49

How are things op? smile

leedy Sat 02-Mar-13 21:04:47

I was SO ANGRY with her once I realized that she didn't know what she was talking about.

monkeysbignuts Sat 02-Mar-13 21:00:29

I can't believe the dr said you couldn't take anything!

monkeysbignuts Sat 02-Mar-13 20:36:51

For me it sort of feels like the baby isn't mine if I can't breastfeed, even just 1 or 2feeds a day for tthose lovely cuddles

leedy Sat 02-Mar-13 20:01:50

Also totally know where you're coming from about the BF - I was initially told by a stupid locum GP that there were no anti-depressants I could take while feeding and I burst into tears because breastfeeding was one of the few things I felt I could manage and was good at and calmed me down. Fortunately I got a second opinion from the mental health team in my maternity hospital and then from my regular GP.

leedy Sat 02-Mar-13 19:56:32

Yes, chat to your GP sounds like a good idea. As I said, Lustral worked really well for me and it's the one recommended for use when BF, so might be worth considering switching?

monkeysbignuts Sat 02-Mar-13 19:27:18

Thank you leedy
Prozac builds up in high levels so I really don't fancy feeding and using it.
I feel like I don't know which way to turn again now. I was happy to stop breastfeeding and put myself first for my family but once I stopped I totally regretted it. It felt lovely feeding him again today.
I need another talk to my gp I think. I will definitely not be going cold turkey again lol. That was the worst 48 hours ever

leedy Sat 02-Mar-13 17:21:01

Baby had no side effects whatsoever and is now a big strapping three year old!

monkeysbignuts Sat 02-Mar-13 17:05:07

Leedy did your baby have any side effects? I am really worried it's going to effect him sad
I feel dreadful feeding him now and I only took 1 prozac! I keep thinking I am going to cause him harm or poison him sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now