DS2 3mo had his tongue tie snipped at ten days but he's still got a "fleshy distal" tie. We've had ongoing latch problems, I end up drenched as he's not quite on and have been plagued by mastitis as not quite draining the breast.
On the other hand he's thriving, following percentile line beautifully and bang on for head circumferance/ height/weight.
Went back to see original paediatric surgeon (who is lovely) and thinks she should be able to do something but it'll mean an operation. DH thinks we should def. go ahead but it seems like a lot to put such a tiny person through (I know there are lots of babies who have to have operations and are fine but still )
It feels terribly selfish as being done primarily to help with bf, as currently mainly a topless affair with me half hand expressing into him. Also to ward off future potential problems but we don't know that there would be any IYSWIM. Although DH had a tongue tie that needed an op when he was 8 and speech therapy so genetics may well be against us.
Has anyone been in this situation? What did you decide to do? Or any medics see this often? GP said he'd never heard of anyone who'd needed a second snip and thought we perhaps ought to wait and see.
Sorry this so long but I'm going round in circles and hope other peoples experience might give me some perspective.
No teeth but very strong, wriggly and determined not to play ball. Practically had to prise his mouth open to get a look. Surgeon concerned that as the tongue tie is so fleshy it'd bleed heavily so she'd rather have him in theatre.
Nice to know that I'm not alone on the multiple snippings though. Sadly not near London rural Scotland in a 10 miles away from anywhere you could buy milk sort of place. Not a lot of second opinions on offer.
I believe there are concerns about GAs for under ones, so they are likely to prefer to wait till he is one. My paed told me that it was probably more prudent to wait until 2, or discernible speech is developing, as not all tongue ties cause speech impediments. She also said sometimes they tear naturally (ouch!) if they have a fall or a trip!
I've decided to leave DS alone for now, and see how he gets on, speech wise.
I think it could be done but so close to saliva ducts and if it did bleed heavily I'm sure it'd be traumatic (for both of us) perhaps if DS is a bit more compliant she could have another look.
They've offered a date for surgery in two weeks, so DS will be 15 weeks.
How did they manage it McBaby?
The problem is really bf in the short term not sure it's fair on DS1 to have me cooped up with DS2 as it's such hard work but I don't want to give up BF as I think it's best for him... <goes round in circles emoticon>
There is no need for GA for a tongue tie revision at any age.
Gracie, search for the tongue tie babies support page on Facebook, they can point you in the right direction.
DS1 had his done twice age 6. The first time, I didn't know any different and got him done under GA. Turns out it wasn't done properly, so the second time, we travelled from Scotland to Yorkshire to see a dentist who trained with Dr Kotlow He released ds1's lip tie too. With just local anaestetic and with laser.
Agree with mawbroon. Are you near London or Huddersfield? Look at Malcolm levinkind or Cote royd (John Roberts). Both worth travelling for. Neither of my dc have needed ga for cuts. Dd been done twice - just last week at cote royd was the latest. DS was done 3 times and needs done again.
Dd does not (fingers crossed) look like its reattaching - am putting it down to the laser instead of scissors, and doing the stretches/massage.