So apparently it's not tongue tie!

(8 Posts)
McBaby Tue 26-Feb-13 22:55:54

We always had one side worse than other. The CO said she could feel more tension there than! If there is no reason then one sided feeding could be a possibility this is where is was heading to have a less painful life! Or at least feeding on the bad side less often helped!

Twattybollocks Tue 26-Feb-13 22:02:49

Mmm. Thinking about the cranial osteopathy, she is much worse on one side than the other and has been since birth.

McBaby Tue 26-Feb-13 21:34:26

Get a second opinion! Mine was looked at a few times before being diagnosed and cut at 8 weeks! The symptoms sound like tongue tie. I also found cranial osteopathy good to get my LO to use her tongue more weeks after tongue was cut might be worth a shot if they still say no. There could be some tension which if real eased might improve the latch.

Twattybollocks Tue 26-Feb-13 21:19:59

I was slightly Sceptical when she showed me the complete absence of a visible frenulum under the tongue, because I know there's no obvious tongue tie, if there was it would have been done at 3 days not 4 weeks! I said what about a posterior tie, and she said no, there is tongue tie. I was hoping to avoid going private but I think I will go over to Charlotte ASAP and get a third opinion.

EauRouge Tue 26-Feb-13 20:51:00

This is a really good link about TT. Posterior TTs for example are very hard to spot so it's worth getting a second opinion. There is more information including a list of people who may be able to help here. Good luck getting it fixed, sounds like your poor nipples really need it!

EauRouge Tue 26-Feb-13 20:12:33

Yes, do get a second or third opinion. Some TTs are very hard to spot. Will post a link when I'm not on my phone.

Hmmm...it does sound like tongue tie. I'm not sure how many ent staff see TT and whether they are any good at diagnosing it. I went through a lot of medical staff of varying professions who I would expect to spot a TT but none of them did (including lactation consultants). Where are you based? Have you tried speaking to Charlotte at milkmatters?

Twattybollocks Tue 26-Feb-13 19:44:29

Been to the ent clinic today, apparently dd doesn't have a tongue tie, and the upper lip tie definately won't affect her feeding. I don't know what to do now, my nipples are currently blue/purple at the bottom and pink/white at the top. The skin on the bottom is slightly hard and scaly. When she comes off its lipstick shaped at the end, flattened and has little stripes down the sides. Also I have flakes of skin coming off the base of the nipple and cracks around there. It's really really sore.
She says I need to see a bf counsellor. I AMa bf peer supporter, I've seen the infant feeding coordinator, peer supporters, 3 midwives and a hv have all checked my latching on and say its fine. All are mystified by my trashed nipples. Wtf is wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now