Formula Feeders Faff Free Fred.

(172 Posts)
TheDetective Mon 25-Feb-13 23:22:56

Hello!

As another lovely poster started a thread to discuss formula feeding, and it was sadly hijacked. I am starting this thread for mums who are formula feeding/mixed feeding/expressing and giving via bottle. Hell, it's for anyone who feeds their baby.

It is not for a bun fight, and it is not to discuss the benefits of either method of feeding!

Just to share tips, information and support.

Chat away!

smellsofsick Sun 03-Mar-13 18:25:23

'Ello. Ff fed DD2 here too due to latching issues.

Quick question: my DD is squirming and crying pretty much every feed at the mo. I don't think it's reflux, though she has just started posseting a small amount and I'm not sure it's wind. Any thoughts?

Anyway, good thread and detective where are you going in Switzerland? We live here and you're welcome to use my steriliser if you're nearby!

sweetpea1112 Sun 03-Mar-13 18:50:24

Hi smells could it be frustration at the flow being too slow? How old is your DD?

smellsofsick Sun 03-Mar-13 19:24:24

Sweet, she's ten weeks. I BF DD1 so I have no idea about bottles at this age. That's a good point though, I'll step up a teat size. Thanks!

sweetpea1112 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:26:17

No problem smile. I'm no expert but ten weeks doesn't seem like an unreasonable age to try the next size. My DS is 13 weeks though and still on size ones but he is a slow drinker and gets too overwhelmed with a faster teat, bless him.

TheDetective Sun 03-Mar-13 19:39:26

smells i would try the next teat up too.

I'm going to Vevey!

We have just ditched the Avent bottles in favour of NUK. DS2 loves them. Why didn't I change them sooner waaaaaaaaaaah! Love love love them! I could cry at thinking about all the money I have wasted on those bottles, and having to get 3 different sized teats! the NUK ones are from 0-6 months, then 6 months plus.

MiffieandMaddy Sun 03-Mar-13 19:39:53

Hi there, I have been so interested in this thread. As a first time mum, who formula fed for personal reasons, I was going mad trying to feed on demand and follow the whole, boil the kettle and leave for 30 minutes palava, or the whole thermos thing and then running under tap in middle of night. I was so confused and none of the HV or midwives would help and just refered me to the packet instructions. However I called one of the big brand hotlines in tears one night about 2am and spoke to a wonderful kind lady. She told me to make a batch of bottles up with the 70degree water, cool and then place in fridge and use within 12 hours. I made up fresh in the day, but at night did just that. She said not to tell anyone she had told me it was okay. Basically the guidelines were changed because lots of formula feeding mums were storing bottles over 24 hours and this was making babies sick.

The formula MUST hit hot water. Boiling the water putting in bottles and letting it cool, then adding formula when you want a feed is NOT okay, becasue the formula is not sterile.

I have now changed to HIPP organic and you cant store these feeds because of the friendly bacteria. However I put freshly boiled water in the bottle and place in a washing up bowl of cold water. I then set a stop watch and timed how long it took for say 180ml to cool to the desired temperature. I then add formula, shake and cool to drinking temp. (note, you would need to make sure you used the same washing up bowl filled to the same level each time, and you have to retime it if you increase the feed amount). This all takes only about 4 minutes so I can easily make up fresh each time. Little one is sleeping through night now, and if she wakes up I use a carton.

Just thought I would share, as there is NO support for formula feeders at all, apart from the helplines from the big companies....

sweetpea1112 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:53:07

Hi Miffie,

I make up feeds in advance as well, both day and night. I feed on demand too and it was getting quite unmanageable. Much easier now smile

wigglesrock Sun 03-Mar-13 19:59:08

That's how I made my bottles up to, but this way is mentioned in NHS guide to Bottle feeding leaflet which can be accessed from midwives, health visitors or downloaded. I have formula fed 3 children from birth and was given this leaflet before I left the hospital and how I actually made the bottles up ie adding powder to water not other way round was checked several times by community midwife who called out shortly after each each birth.

NappyHappy Mon 04-Mar-13 09:44:23

Do the NUK teats have the same shape as the standard Avent ones? I'm using the new shaped Avent ones with ds3 and moved up a size a couple of days ago in the hope he'll feed better but he still faff about.

I didn't realise in emergencies you could use bottled water, thank you!

Out of all 3 boys I was only ever quickly briefed on how to correctly make up bottles (2nd baby)

thehumanegg Mon 04-Mar-13 17:15:17

Btw if using ready made cartons, there's a way of opening without scissors which is quick once you've done it a few times. If you peel the outside shiny layer off the bit you'd cut, the whole corner will then rip off quite easily. Maybe this is what everyone does buy it took me about 4 months to discover.

Zara1984 Mon 04-Mar-13 17:22:51

Doh I should have thought of that humanegg.... Had to teach myself to rip open the cartons for feeding on a plane. That sounds way easier!!

Nappy, the classic Avents are quite long. Nuk are a bit flat at the end IIRC?

Wondering what you all do about the bits of powder that get caked in scoop when making up bottles (ie steam from water making powder stick to scoop). I wipe it off with a clean paper towel....? Is this the right thing to do?

Zara1984 Mon 04-Mar-13 17:28:56

And what sterilising methods do you all use? Milton, microwave or standalone steriliser?

Which is least faff and cheapest? I have a microwave one. Didn't choose it as such, my mate bought me the same kit she has when I rang her in tears from the hospital...! confused

Sometimes wonder if standalone is best. But they're a bit pricey and take up bench space. Microwave one only takes 4 bottles which means I have to do 2 sterilising runs in the evening when I do the bottles.

wigglesrock Mon 04-Mar-13 17:38:42

I kept spare scoops from finished tins so always had a "dry" scoop.

With my elder 2 I used a stand alone electric steriliser but I had to get a new one for my 3rd and got a microwave one I loved it grin Thought it was so much quicker, cleaner, neater than my old one.

sweetpea1112 Mon 04-Mar-13 18:07:50

I have a standalone steriliser which holds 6 bottles and I love it.

I either clean the scoop after every two bottles, then dry with a clean paper towel, or measure the required powder into those formula powder pots (one per bottle) and pour them in, thus "saving" the scoop.

Chocaholics Mon 04-Mar-13 19:21:14

This is a great thread. DS is 6 weeks old and I am mixed feeding. I feed him then top him up with formula. Having to do this as I started ebf but after 2 weeks he hadn't put any weight on at all and was losing weight again. The exact same thing happened with my DD but I was still really upset by it. My DH and MW were fab though and kept telling me the only important thing is a healthy baby and that DD did absolutely fine with this method. Still felt a failure though but am ok about it now.

The tips about the holiday are great, we are going away later in the year and never even though about sterilising bottles and how to take formula on the plane.

TheDetective Mon 04-Mar-13 19:21:54

I've got a steam steriliser. Downside is, it might tell you it takes 9 minutes, but it often takes longer, and they are too hot to handle when done. So you are waiting ages for the bloody things!

I've got a good tip for you! I rang my GP on friday and asked could I get the SMA Staydown on prescription as it was recommended by the health visitor to try him on. I explained I had bought the first tin and tried him and he was much better on it. So now we've got it on prescription! Excellent! That will save me around £15 a week!

The Nuk bottles have started blocking at the teat. Would you make the hole bigger? I don't want to change the teats because it is already a fast flow. Might ring Nuk and see what they suggest actually, because they weren't doing it at first, now every bottle today has done it. confused

Zara1984 Mon 04-Mar-13 19:33:30

That is fantastic Detective! I'm really pleased for you, that's a great saving!

My fingertips were numb and tingly in the early months from handling really hot bottles confused

Zara1984 Mon 04-Mar-13 19:35:02

Chocaholics be kind to yourself xx you're doing really well! You have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about, consider reading the Bottled Up book

NappyHappy Mon 04-Mar-13 20:24:17

That book sounds great.smile

I'm using a microwave steriliser this time round and with the other 2 boys it was Milton and electric. Definitely prefer the microwave one! I'll let the bottles cool down then put the powder in then the hot water on top. When I do it water first I'll rattle the scoop off the insides of the carton, I don't think using a paper towel or even your finger to clean the scoop out really matters as the hot water will be sterilising the powder.

I know what you mean about the shape of the NUK teats, as if they've had a slice taken off the end.

That's good to know about the cartons, thanks! wink

And the SMA? You don't ask you don't get. Excellent, £15 is a lot. We've not had any puking the last few days so hopefully funny face will have put some weight on. At least with bottles I can see how much he is taking.

Pikz Mon 04-Mar-13 21:03:12

I was microwave but when he got thrush I swapped to Milton to get rid and have never looked back. The microwave one seems such a faff compared to Milton for me.

NappyHappy Mon 04-Mar-13 21:14:35

Do you leave the bottles to dry out first before you fill them? I can't remember what I did with them blush

Chocaholics Mon 04-Mar-13 21:28:49

I know Zara1984, I am ok now with ff, I think because I never managed to ebf with DD I really wanted to this time round but everyone is right, a healthy happy baby is all that matters and both my children are so I'm very lucky. Will go and buy the book you've recommended as does sound like it will help.

Phineyj Mon 04-Mar-13 21:43:53

Great thread!

This is a gadget we've found useful -- it cools boiling water to drinking temperature instantly. I have calculated it saves up to 5 mins of DD screaming...!

www.amazon.co.uk/Twister-boiling-desired-temperature-Preparation/dp/B000NAZZSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362432234&sr=8-1

TheDetective Mon 04-Mar-13 22:07:35

Not with the steam steriliser, I just shake the excess out and fill away!

NappyHappy Mon 04-Mar-13 22:11:50

I've got very sore skin on my hands so have to leave them to cool down first wink

That gadget is cool. What a great idea! When I have to cool things GS quick I'll stick bottle in a jug of cold water then straight in the fridge, still takes ages but that gadget is brill!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now