Formula Feeders Faff Free Fred.

(172 Posts)
TheDetective Mon 25-Feb-13 23:22:56

Hello!

As another lovely poster started a thread to discuss formula feeding, and it was sadly hijacked. I am starting this thread for mums who are formula feeding/mixed feeding/expressing and giving via bottle. Hell, it's for anyone who feeds their baby.

It is not for a bun fight, and it is not to discuss the benefits of either method of feeding!

Just to share tips, information and support.

Chat away!

scissy Wed 27-Feb-13 11:29:49

I have a 4 week old DD who is now almost exclusively ff after matching issues. Agree about lack of advice, it's a right pain! Anyway, my question is, I realise there are different teat sizes for bottles (am using avent) - how do I know when she's ready for the next size up as she's approaching the age for the next teat size? Or do I just start using the next one when she's a month old?

sweetpea1112 Wed 27-Feb-13 11:32:51

Scissy, my DS is 3 months old and still using size one teats. I have tried size two a couple of times as he is quite a slow feeder but they made him cough, dribble and throw up so changed back down to ones again.

I think if they appear to be getting frustrated with not getting milk out fast enough then you could try the next size up. But I pay no attention to the age guides on the teat and do what suits my baby.

wigglesrock Wed 27-Feb-13 12:56:57

scissy with mine when I thought they were ready for a faster teat, ie sucking harder, frustration I used a needle to make the hole in the teat slightly bigger, if that helped alleviate the frustration I then went and bought faster teats. But you don't have to move them up.

NappyHappy Wed 27-Feb-13 20:32:20

Same here, ds3 is a super slow feeder (apart from today which is odd) and have gone up teat sizes before the recommended age. It took him a day or so to get used to the new flow wink

I'm using the new shaped Avent ones and they seem OK.

Each time I was in hospital having the boys there was no info on how to make up formula correctly, I guessed and ds1 ended up Ill.

Scissy - mine wasn't ready for the next teat until he was 8 months! Anything other than the size 1 resulted in massive vomiting afterwards. So just adjust the teats when you feel your baby is ready. We now use the 'vari-flow' ones, which have a X rather than a hole, meaning the X opens up bigger depending on how hard baby sucks - makes sense?

Zara - that is FAB advice for travelling with a baby. Another good tip : get some of those 'zip-lock' freezer bags, and fill each on with a different complete outfit - maybe take 3 on the flight. Saves digging around in your bag for a clean vest and socks!

Another tip regarding Tommee Tippee bottles. I love them, and they're the only thing my baby can use without throwing up afterwards. But after 4 months of inconsistant use (was mix-fed), the markings began to rub off. Rang the TT helpline, sent off 4 old bottles and got 4 lovely new replacements abour 2 days later!

scissy Thu 28-Feb-13 08:21:56

Thanks all, that's useful to know. She's a slow feeder too, and can also be rather sicky, hadn't thought a different bottle brand might make a difference!

Zara1984 Thu 28-Feb-13 08:52:56

YY to ziplock bags

thehumanegg Thu 28-Feb-13 12:39:28

Re taking formula on planes- although its obviously sensible to prepare for the worst, it wasn't too bad for us. We flew from heathrow- America and only had to open 1 premade carton which they apologised for, they were quite relaxed about it, the same on the way back. I had been dreading this for months and took about 3 times more than we needed.

wigglesrock Thu 28-Feb-13 12:45:52

oh on a complete tangent if anyone is going away on holiday this year and has access to a microwave we used microwave steriliser bags for all of our dds - they were really handy.

Zara1984 Thu 28-Feb-13 12:52:15

Humanegg yeah it's hit and miss - on the way out was fine, but on way back they confiscated 50% and made me open and taste 50% of the rest confused

DangerMousey Thu 28-Feb-13 13:17:55

Hey ladies thanks for starting this thread. DS1 is 12 weeks old and FF since 10 days old after BF nightmare.

I felt massively guilty and upset when I gave up BF - i had no idea it was going to be so hard. The birth (of 9lb 3oz DS vaginally with just G&A) was a complete piece of piss compared to the 10 day horrowshow of breastfeeding which followed.

Anyway, DS is now thriving and loves his bottles and I just thank god that I live in this century and that formula is available as an alternative when BF isn't working out for whatever reason. I didnt see the other thread you're talking about, but I am think it's outrageous that anyone would try to make me feel any more guilty than I already do about not being able to BF my son!! It was a tough shitty decision I made, but ultimately DS was instantly more settled, happy and put on weight and that's what matters.

This is how I do our night bottles:

Before I go to bed I make them up using hot, recently-boiled water from the kettle as-per the manufacturers instructions. I then quickly cool the bottles of formula down in icy water, and then shove them in the back of the fridge. When DS wakes for a night feed, I get a bottle out of the fridge, remove teat/lid, microwave it for 30 seconds to bring to room temperature, give it a good swill round, then microwave again for 20 secs so it's nice and warm how DS likes it.

(I know the advice is against microwaving, but that is only because of the risk of hot spots/scalding - not cos of any inherent risk in heating the milk that way....i always swill it around very well to disperse and hotspots and sprinkle it on my tongue - gross! - to check it's not too hot before serving to my son).

Incidentally, during the day if we're going out an about, I take a thermos flask with hot water from the kettle which has cooled for 15-30 mins as per the manufacturers instructions. And I measure out the right number of scoops of formula into a little formula storage tub from Boots. The when DS needs feeding, I simply get a sterile bottle out of my changing bag, pour in 6oz of hot water from my flask, add the powder, shake, wait for it to cool for few minutes, and serve!

thehumanegg Thu 28-Feb-13 18:48:34

zara 50% is totally ridiculous, that's the kind of thing I was expecting. Super annoying. I think it being Christmas and super busy helped, shame they're not that rational year round.

TheDetective Thu 28-Feb-13 20:54:31

How can they make you taste them?! I'd vomit quite frankly. There's no way I'm tasting them. DS1 can!

Also once open they aren't sterile so that isn't possible to open them. confused

Dicks. Grrrrr.

I'm flying with easyjet and as far as I can see there won't be a problem taking water and powder. Well, there better not be! The info on their website suggests it will be fine!!

Zara1984 Thu 28-Feb-13 21:15:33

Aptamil tastes like shite, I can confirm. <boak> had to take great big swigs out of two cartons confused

They know it's no longer sterile when it's opened too, they just apologise and say those are the rules.

Be prepared in case they are assholes and take the water off you, Detective! EasyJet has no control over airport security!

Zara1984 Thu 28-Feb-13 21:16:05

I fed DS with one of the ones the opened and I chucked the other one out.

OooohShiny Thu 28-Feb-13 21:50:27

Very similar to a few of you...my DS is FF and has been since quite early on due to various issues.

Currently because of reflux and CMP allergy he is on Neocate and infant gaviscon) which has to be made with water which has been cooled for 30 minutes. For this reason I make up his bottles in advance (3 in the morning for daytime and 3 in the evening for nighttime).

I fill & boil kettle and set timer for 30 minutes then, when water is cooled enough fill flask to brim and set aside. I boil the kettle again and use the boiling water to mix the infant gaviscon (just a teeny amount) and once that has dissolved and cooled I add water from the flask and pre-measured out formula. Flash cool in iced water then straight into back of fridge.

I remove top and heat for 30 seconds in the microwave then swirl about for a minute to take the chill off before feeding.

When out and about I have the same routine almost but have to pre-mix the gaviscon before leaving the house (30 minute cooled water won't dissolve the gaviscon) and I also carry a bottle of iced boiled water to top up the bottle to cool down.

I can see that flying might not be suitable for us for some time sad

Zara1984 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:00:37

Ooohshiny in your case you could get a GP note to exempt you from security requirements so you could take water through etc xx

OooohShiny Thu 28-Feb-13 22:10:25

Doh...never thought of that Zara

Other than flexible ice packs and insulated bags can anyone think how to keep his medicine 'fridge cold' for any longer than a couple of hours?

TheDetective Thu 28-Feb-13 22:20:41

Do you think a GP exempt note might work for us Zara with needing very cold previously boiled water, and each feed has to be made up as required?

Anyone know anything about getting SMA staydown on prescription? Someone mentioned to me that you could. I had no idea. Feel a bit cheeky, but hey, I'm on maternity leave, shit pay, and quite frankly, a freebie would be freaking fabulous!

Em2010 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:23:17

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it! I'm currently 39+3 weeks pregnant with dc2. DS was ff after bf went very badly. I struggled to get any reliable information on safely/conveniently making up bottles with lots of conflicting advice from professionals. DS was on formula until he turned 2 by which stage I had become rather lax about making up bottles (sterile feeding seemed less important once he went to nursery and started eating mud...) Although i'm going to give bf another go I will be watching this thread with great interest for my refresher course in FF!

Tanya28 Fri 01-Mar-13 03:19:17

Ooh shiny I'm in the same boat with my daughter who is now 22 months old, we flew with her when she was 6weeks old to Spain, we had a letter from the dietician and carried the neocate all as hand baggage (my paranoia that it would get lost in the hold) and took plenty of water and I just had to test each bottle. Even last year when we flew to the states it was just the same, no problems at all!

Pikz Fri 01-Mar-13 10:24:36

Zara thank you... You have just saved my million questions about travelling with ff.

We are 14 weeks, 12 express fed and now 2 weeks mix fed with 80% ff now. The only bit I'm struggling with is night times. Have got confident with powder during day now.

Zara1984 Fri 01-Mar-13 13:33:20

Y Detective I think a doctor's note would work. They are generally pretty good with doctor's notes. The most vigorous questioning I've heard of is when DH's colleague had to take glycerin for his daughter on a plane, as that's an ingredient in bombs they were very iffy! But because there was a doctor's note it's ok. Worst case scenario they take the water off you, then you go and get chilled Evian or Volvic from a shop as your emergency backup, these are suitable bottled waters to use for babies as they're low sodium. Yes not ideal, but it's good to have a backup.

Ooohshiny the crew should be able to put his medicine in the fridge in the galley. Keep in an insulated bag till you get to the gate, then as soon as you board give to the flight attendant to put in fridge.

Zara1984 Fri 01-Mar-13 13:38:37

Ooohshiny you could also pack some instant cold packs to help keep medicine cold till you get to your destination/fridge in your accomodation. Ie, snap cold pack into use, put in insulated bag. Put medicine inside!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now