Noisy feeding

(7 Posts)
Alltheflowers Mon 25-Feb-13 21:04:46

Ps am pleased there might actually be a solution as I was starting to think I'd have to just talk really loudly when feeding to mask the noise!!

Alltheflowers Mon 25-Feb-13 21:03:05

Actually it could be due to a fast flow as she feeds so quickly

Alltheflowers Mon 25-Feb-13 21:02:08

Thanks for your replies. I'll investigate the tongue tie possibility and also maybe get someone to watch a feed (she's 8 weeks old)

BigPigLittlePig Mon 25-Feb-13 20:59:48

DD did this, I had attributed it to my flow being too fast. I would unlatch her once the milk started flowing, and let the fast milk run out into a muslin, then let her feed - may be worth trying?

Are there any breast-feeding support groups near you who could observe dd feeding and check her for a tongue tie, if you're concerned?

LillyofWinchester Mon 25-Feb-13 19:59:14

kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/clicking-when-nursing/

Found this link for you, I'm sure you can retrain your baby to have a better latch, is there any BF support from your hospital? Perhaps if you show an expert what's happening during a feed they can suggest something to help.

How old is your baby? From my own & friends experience it can take a few weeks for both the mum & baby to perfect things

minipie Mon 25-Feb-13 19:52:27

I had exactly this issue - but then the pain started after 14 weeks of bfing - turned out DD had a posterior tongue tie. I had it snipped, it has taken a couple of weeks to see a difference (as she had learned the bad latch) but her latch is now much better. she does still click but doesn't slip off nearly as much and the pain has gone. so I would suggest getting checked for tongue tie as a first step. if it is TT the sooner fixed the better.

I used to have bowling ball shaped boobs too... they are now rather more floppy triangle shaped since BFing...

Alltheflowers Mon 25-Feb-13 18:10:00

My baby has been putting on weight and I don't get any pain from breastfeeding. However, she often slips off to the point of only having my nipple in her mouth (which does hurt, so we start again) and almost always there is a clicking sound when she feeds. It's been going on for ages now so I'm worried that if its a bad latch, it would be too late to 're-train' her to latch on properly?

I do have boobs shaped a bit like bowling balls as well (quite flat bits round my nipples rather than pointy triangles!). So maybe it's the shape in which case there's not a lot I can do?

Would appreciate any advice anyone has. I've not done anything about it before as I haven't fed in public yet. I would be quite conscious of the noise though and i want to start getting out so i really want to get it sorted.

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now