Morning After Pill and Breastfeeding - to pump and dump?

(4 Posts)
ehmumbo Mon 25-Feb-13 21:23:17

Thanks noble. Have managed not to feed him since 4:20pm - he has slugged down a bottle of formula with his Dad and went to sleep with a cuddle from me and a dummy. I have also pumped the same mount of breastmilk and dumped it. Just didn't feel right taking such a strong dose of hormones and feeding him at the same time - not really like a nice glass of wine is it?!

noblegiraffe Mon 25-Feb-13 19:54:11

This is what the breastfeeding network says

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Emergency_Hormonal_Contraception_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf

Seems to think it's safe.

ehmumbo Mon 25-Feb-13 18:27:44

anyone...

ehmumbo Mon 25-Feb-13 18:07:18

That's it really. Just wanted some reassurance. My baby boy is almost 6 months and entirely breastfed. I have taken Levonorgestrel an hour and a half ago.

Doctor said it would be fine after a few hours to feed. Have found and American website National Library of Medicine which says: nursing can be resumed 8 hours after a large dose (which I have taken) Resumption of breastfeeding 3 to 4 hours after the dose may be acceptable.(its the "may" be acceptable bit that concerns me.)hmm

So thinking of trying DS on formula for one feed and pumping and dumping also, so my boobs don't explode! Does this sound like a good plan? Anyone out there know anything more about this kind of thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now