comfort Milk supply shortage

(8 Posts)
BecAndAlex Fri 22-Feb-13 11:07:16

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I have been struggling to get hold of Aptamil Comfort this week. I have tried all the major supermarkets and large chemists and they are all out of stock. I managed to get a box at my small local boots 2 days ago, but they are now out of stock.
The same seems to apply to Cow and gate and SMA too.
I just called Aptamil and there is a pre recorded message regarding it. It says that the shortage is due to excess demand, and also due to the fact that they have had a manufactuing issue with one of the ingredients. They expect supply to be back to normal by mid march. I wonder if this is connected to the whole horse DNA scandal?? Sounds silly but wouldn't suprise me.

My supply is not going to last me until mid march so hoping I find somewhere that has some stock so I can buy a few boxes. DD has trouble with the lactose. I have been prescirbed colief, but don't want to mess about with her milk.....may have to though at this rate.

Aptamil advise speaking to your HCP if you have any worries.

Just thought Id share with you.

x

matilda101 Fri 22-Feb-13 19:24:09

Where are you? There was a good supply of both aptimil and cow and gate at my local waitrose, might be worth ordering online?

BecAndAlex Fri 22-Feb-13 21:42:31

I'm in Manchester. I have around 5 days worth left so hoping that by then some more will have made it onto the shelves. Aptamil emailed me and apologised and offered alternative suggestions. Said to use normal 1st milk with colief (which I have on prescription anyway), so perhaps it may not be an issue for me afterall.

Thanks for replying x

KatieMiddleton Fri 22-Feb-13 21:46:50

Your local NCT branch may have something about this on their Facebook page? I know mine does.

madamginger Fri 22-Feb-13 21:49:22

I wonder if its to do with the infant gaviscon shortage, that's out till march/April too

BecAndAlex Fri 22-Feb-13 21:59:28

Funny you should mention the gaviscon issue as I was prescribed gaviscon today and managed to get 2 boxes in first chemist I tried, but my friend has struggled to get any. I also wonder if it is the same ingredient that is affected as the comfort milk has a thickener in it too??

odd!!

The aptamil website has this message on it:

APTAMIL COMFORT SHORTAGE
We very much regret that we are currently experiencing a shortage of Aptamil Comfort which means parents are experiencing low and patchy availability. We would like to apologise to parents who are using this milk as we are very aware of the difficulties they are experiencing. We have been making sure that the ingredient supplier has been aware of the effect this has had on parents, and we are pleased to tell you that we expect Aptamil Comfort to be back on shelf next week (w/c 25th February). Once again, we are very sorry for the problems this shortage has caused.

Whydobabiescry Sun 24-Feb-13 09:25:59

Apparently there's no aptamil or cow & gate comfort milk due to a supply problem with corn starch thickener - not horses. My dd was on aptamil comfort due to reflux but as she's now over 6 months I took the decision to try aptamil follow on, she seems fine with it and I now get to collect points!

I read yesterday that the milk is so scarce it's changing hands for ridiculous amounts on eBay. Mind you if this had happened when dd was 6 weeks colicky and suffering terrible reflux I would had been one of the desperate parents paying loads for the precious milk.

If you dc's can't drink anything else try your HV or gp because apparently they can prescribe similar milks for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now