8 week old lactose intolerant

(4 Posts)
Oktobersun Thu 21-Feb-13 12:09:53

Hello,I have an 8 week old daughter and after a visit from the health visitor today it has been suggested that she may be lactose intolerant. We have a drs appointmwnt booked for tomorrow but I was wondering if its common in newborns, and will the Dr prescribe me a dairy free formula? My daughter is on aptimil at the moment. Thanks in advance.

tiktok Thu 21-Feb-13 12:31:45

Very uncommon indeed in newborns - your HV may be confusing this with cows milk protein intolerance.

LI can develop after a bout of diarrhoea or a gastric infection. This is 'secondary LI' and is temporary.

But congenital LI is very, very rare. You would have noticed it long before now - in the first days after the birth.

CMPI is less rare. Doc can prescribe a special formula which makes the protein easier to digest.

melliebobs Thu 21-Feb-13 12:33:30

Wts. More likely to be cow milk protein intolerance. If its that they'll get a soya formula or if your bf you go dairy free. My dd was the same and now at almost 12 months she's starting to tolerate very small amounts of dairy. Peadiatrician recons she should grow out of it eventually

MurtleTheTurtle Thu 21-Feb-13 16:00:26

My first baby was lactose intolerant and she was very obviously poorly from a few days old - horrid green poos and very sick if given any formula. She was a horrid grey colour as well. She was prescribed nutramagen milk which smelt awful but seemed to work. We had to be very careful about her food for the first couple of years though as the smallest traces would make her ill.

I guess not all cases are the same but we wouldn't have made it to 8 weeks she was so poorly, so based on my experience I'd say the cows milk protein intolerance might be more likely?

Good luck tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now