Cow and gate comfort

(7 Posts)
Tagz269 Thu 14-Feb-13 17:45:56

Hi,
I have been advised by my HV to put my dd on comfort milk. She suggested to mix it at first with my existing formula - sma. Has anyone ever transitioned this milk? If so, how do you need to make it up? Is it the same as non comfort milk where you need to add to cooled boiled water?
I am asking these qu's as I have not got it yet

Thanks

scratchandsniff Thu 14-Feb-13 17:57:42

We use Aptamil comfort. You have to add that to boiled water that's been left for half an hour. If that's not convenient I put 3/4 of the water I need then when I want it I top up with freshly boiled and add the powder. I think it is harder to dissolve than normal powder so water needs to be warm. Also I find if made up too far in advance it separates.

featherbag Thu 14-Feb-13 18:02:20

How old is your DC? Why has the HV suggested this? And what is 'comfort milk?'

flyinmytea Thu 14-Feb-13 18:17:11

Hi Tagz269
You don't say why your health visitor recommended comfort milk or what age your little one is. The milk is thicker and a bit harder to mix but you should follow the same steps.

Up to date information on making up formula feeds can be found here it is really important to achieve the temperature listed to kill off any possible bacteria.
www.unicef.org.uk/Documents/Baby_Friendly/Leaflets/4/guide_to_bottle_feeding.pdf

Tagz269 Thu 14-Feb-13 19:17:42

Sorry she is 9weeks old. She suggested it because dd has bad reflux

cow and gate and aptamil do an anti-reflux milk as well as comfort milk - maybe one of them would suit. It will tell you on the tub how to make it up.

Florin Thu 14-Feb-13 19:47:23

My son has terrible reflux. We have him on the Aptamil anti reflux which is completely fab have used it since he was a few weeks old. Once it went out of stock and even Aptamil told me the cow and gate anti reflux was the same as owned by the same company but it really isn't. As soon as he has the cow and gate anti reflux he keeps throwing it up however The Aptamil anti reflux really has changed our lives he never even throws up not even a tiny bit. Before changing milk we couldn't really go out as he used to projectile vomit spectacularly everywhere so was difficult going to other people's houses etc. He is better on the anti reflux aptamil than babies without reflux at all, he doesn't even posset up a dribble of milk. My son is now 7 months old and I guess we are a little more relaxed about making it up. We put a small amount of cooled boiled water in all the bottles and store them in the fridge we then fill them up with boiling water and add powder and then cool but doesn't take as long this way. We also did not transition just went straight on it (we were desperate to stop him throwing up) he had a slightly interesting tummy for a few days but nothing awful and fine in himself. The only thing I would say about it is that it gave him constipation it didn't bother him but had proper hard poos. As soon as he was 17 weeks we started giving him a bit of pear purée as preferred to start very slow weaning early rather than giving him drugs to sort it out. When he was about 5 months as he had really good hand and eye coordination and was sitting up we started him baby led weaning which he picked up fast and he hasn't had any issues since apart from bananas he really can't have as they stuff him up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now