Will I be able to leave ebf 7.5mo for an afternoon do you think ?

(10 Posts)
NeedlesCuties Fri 15-Feb-13 11:58:41

Aww bless you, OP, I was the exact same with worrying about my pfb smile

He'll be fine. Feed him before you go and when you collect him. In the meantime he'll be grand playing with his gran. As you say, she can give him solids and distract him.

One thing I noticed with both my kids is that they looked for bm from me, but when others minded them they were fine with a cup/bottle of water and food for a few hours.

You'll be fine!

forevergreek Thu 14-Feb-13 16:15:22

I would just feed 11/11.30 before you go. Then get your mum to gie him lunch and maybe go for a walk to get him asleep in buggy if easier. Then offer water/ snack after nap and you can feed on return if needed

PenelopeChipShop Thu 14-Feb-13 16:02:43

Yes he'll sleep on the buggy if the timing is just right so she'll probably have to do that. I was thinking a yoghurt might he a good alternative too although he's not too keen on bring spoon fed either ! But worth a try. So he should be ok without milk for 5 hours,.. Just so nerve wracking to know I won't be nearby!

13Iggis Thu 14-Feb-13 11:20:13

Mine happily takes milk from a bottle but when he's upset, it's still boob mummy he wants, he just swipes the bottle away! So I wouldn't worry too much from the bottle refusing aspect.

teacher123 Thu 14-Feb-13 11:00:17

PS - my DS has been a bottle refuser for months and months. I have persevered with the sippy cup with formula in for morning and afternoon feeds. He takes them a lot better in the pushchair...

teacher123 Thu 14-Feb-13 10:57:57

He will be fine smilewill he sleep in the buggy or if your mum takes him for a drive? Also if he won't drink milk whilst you're away but will drink water could your mum just give him a yoghurt and a drink of water at the time he normally has a feed?

PenelopeChipShop Thu 14-Feb-13 10:48:56

He'll be with my mum and she has spent lots of time with him so she's nice and familiar. But even when she's been here I'm always here, apart from the odd hour when I might go for a nap while she plays with him. So he does know her and she knows the things he likes, his favourite toys, funny faces etc. so maybe he'll be fine from that point of view. I've just been a bit daft about the breastfeeding I guess, I should have persisted with bottles but it didn't seem urgent and now I realise I can't do anything!

Good question about when I would leave otherwise I don't know! I have had a coupe of hours off obviously just to go swimming of have a haircut or something but so far always things I could fit between feeds.

13Iggis Thu 14-Feb-13 10:35:15

Who are you leaving the baby with? Is it someone who is good with kids, will find other ways of comforting him? Have they spent time together prior to the babysitting?
I have an 8 month old, daytime leavings are easy it's night times I struggle with! He should not need milk for an afternoon, and is less likely to think of it when the woman-with-the-milk is not around.
Personally I would be going mad if I hadn't had a wee bit of time away by this point. If you don't go this time, when are you thinking you could leave him?

PenelopeChipShop Thu 14-Feb-13 10:31:15

Sorry if this is a daft question but I'm getting all worked up about whether I should go even though its something I would really like to go to. Can you tell he is my pfb and am still on mat leave so haven't had to leave him yet!! I know some people are back at work by now which is why I feel pathetic.

PenelopeChipShop Thu 14-Feb-13 10:28:31

Clearly when I say ebf he is on solids! But has always rejected bottles - we've haven't even bothered trying one for a couple of months. He is actually very keen on both his tome tippee 'spout' cup with handles and an open doidy cup for water with his meals - he always reaches out for it and I' m sure he's drinking a bit of water. But when I put milk in there he's not so interested. I don't think he would 'get' at all that a cup of milk from someone else was to replace a bf! He has cut down on bf a lot in the day, he always has one before his lunchtime nap to go to sleep and some days he won't have another feed til bedtime, but on the days he does want one its usually for comfort, which is why I'm nervous to leave him. Have visions of him yelling for me and me not there :-(

I would need to be out from about 12 til about 4/5. So that's s bit early to give the lunchtime one even... Also worried he won't sleep without me! Any more experienced mums have a view? Am I mean to leave him if not 100% sure he will be ok for milk? Or do you have to just do this to see how they cope? I have offered milk in the cup loads but he's just not bothered. DH works stupid hours so not often here to do it instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now