my nipple is knackered

(14 Posts)

Oh, and make your nipple 'stand up' before getting baby to latch on, I always found this helped with pain in the first few weeks.

I would use lanishoh after every feed, after having a shower and before you put clothes on or get into bed.

It could be thrush - will your health visitor be coming to see you at any point? Maybe ring her and get her to come round if you can.

And give your nipple a rest - express and feed baby the expressed milk if she will take it from a bottle. If you don't want to feed her from a bottle, freeze it and save it for another day. But expressing and giving her a bottle will ease your nipple - I'd maybe stick to doing this only once a day (one bottle a day) so she doesn't get too used to the bottle.

Does she seem happy and is she producing plenty of wet and dirty nappies?

honeyking Thu 14-Feb-13 12:24:07

It could be thrush if the area feels like it is coming from your breast rather than your nipple?. I had deep breast pain and lots of extreme tingling especially if there was a change in temperature.

I was started on an intensive course of meds. Check your babies mouth for Thrush and maybe go to the docs.

Check out your local breastfeeding groups, they may also be able to come and see you at home.

Enjoy your newborn snuggles.

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:40:46

With my first ..boy ....BF for 6 weeks without major problems .then sore nipples ........between 6-8 weeks .....bloomin aging at start of feeds .....almost had to give up BF

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:37:59

Pain lasts for first few minutes .agony .the settles .but. last feed was More painful ...and now an hour after feeding have burning pain in whole breast ...mild ...but to me a sign things are getting worse .

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:34:46

Gosh breast feeding us so hard isn't it

Flat nipples are 'proper' nipples!

If you can raise the nipple up without hurting yourself, that may help your daughter to latch properly, more quickly.

So you're getting pain on latch, but only for the first 10 seconds? Few minutes?

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:32:35

It very much feels like the damaged area is under the skin .
If the nipple is a building right .....all my pain is in the fabric of the foundations ! :-)

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:30:08

The nipple is just a bit flatter but not flat .and yes with stimulation within ssecobds the shape changes to a proper nipple ....but I usually assume the stimulation will occur from babe sucking

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:28:11

NotQuite Thank you .

I'm usin lasinoh but only once in 24 hours because the skin of the nipple feels fine .

It's likely to be a latch issue. Is it possible for you to see someone, or call the helplines. You wouldn't think they could fix latch over the phone, but it can really help.

Essentially, you are aiming for:
- baby held v close in
- baby's body all in a line (not turned at neck or waist)
- when latched on, his nose is relatively clear of the breast, and his chin is really shoved in.

The best way to achieve all this, particularly with a tiny newborn, ime, is cross-cradle latch.

Other things that may help:
- if the nipple is flat, does it come up when stimulated before a feed?
- are you using any creams etc? If you put a layer of clingfilm on the nipple after the creams, it can keep your nipple safe and clean and moist, and help it heal, a bit.

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:18:16

Must say skin of nipple looks normal

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:17:16

Boob

spiderbabymum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:16:22

Feel like I'm having a panic about this ......

But its gettin worse

I've got to do sth

My left nipple is so sore .what worries me is its now sore after a feed.
My daughter is two weeks old ,born at 36 weeks ,section spent 8 days in scbu .......and due to breathing problems was unable to put her to the breast ...other than for one feed after she was born...for the first six days .
Now we are home she's feeding on demand .all going v well apart from pain with patching on on the left .eased within minutes .but last few evenings cluster feeds in eveings .last night fed almost continously for three hours .the pain at first was in a c shape on the inside of the left nipple .so I just did the rugby hold for last 4 days ....much less pain but then more pain now and instead of pain in a c at base of nipple its in a circle .

I must stress da is almost 6. He was premature ,tiny ,4lbs and had a tiny mouth . I reckon the damage to my nipple occurred first time round .......feels exactly the same .
Left nipple looks a bit flat and slightly squint.

So
Any benefits from stimulation of the nipple pre feed .

Latch may be a bit shallow on left ........do I just keep takin her off and tryin again

Should I try resting it somehow? Express from that side , bottle
Right now in sure my left boon is becoming unusable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now