Can't make my mind up- carry on bf or start formula?

(14 Posts)
flipflopper Thu 14-Feb-13 10:13:20

Dd is 5 months old, still efb, and she is doing well, however I am having pain with my right breast, it feels really sore, not engorged, hard or red though, so not infected. It feels like burning on my nipple, and ive got a white spot on my nipple, and afer I have fed, I get stabbing pains in it for hours, and it is sore to touch.
I've been to the GP twice, but she says she's not sure what is wrong, don't think she believes how painful it is, but she gave me some canesten last time, I think to shut me up! but it hasn't really made a difference.

So this is getting me down now, been going on for a couple of weeks, and also, I cant seem to express much milk, Ive got an electric pump, but can only get 1oz out at a time, so its a real faff just so I can have some time to myself!

Any advice anyone?
People I have talked to say just change to formula, its easier, but I feel sad about stopping bf, and also she is waking at night still, and I feed her to sleep, so couldn't do that.

It does not sound like thrush - that's always on both sides.

It sounds like a milk bleb. Look here for more information. Hopefully you can sort it out, or get your doctor to sort it out, and then carry on breastfeeding, as that sounds like what you want to do.

For breastfeeding issues, it's probably wiser to post here, or call a helpline, before going to the GP, as many of them are not that knowledgeable.

noblegiraffe Thu 14-Feb-13 10:50:48

I got these white blebs too, they block a duct. I used to scrape it off (clean fingers!) and then hand express/feed to get rid of the back-up - there'd usually be an associated lump in my boob.

Obviously look up some proper medical advice, but if that's what it is, there's no reason to stop bfing if you don't want to, and once you know what to look for they're quite easy to sort out.

I got them too (even had one last week - haven't BF since Xmas!!). I used to get rid of them in the shower and then express in there as well, the backed up milk can go straight down the drain.

Don't stop BF if you don't want to.

RoseGarden123 Thu 14-Feb-13 12:51:20

Have you tried talking to a BF support mentor or a lactation consultant (usually available through your local children's centre) for advice?
I gave up BF at about 6 mths ish due to have intense pain. It was a decision I have regretted for a very long time and wish I could take back that time with my DS as it provided such a lovely bond and closeness, don't stop BF unless you really, really want too, because as soon as that decision is made it is very difficult to reverse.

flipflopper Thu 14-Feb-13 19:23:26

Thanks for the replies, I think it is a milk bleb, the info on the link exactly described what mine is like, some really good info on there, I will follow that advice and carry on with the bf, i'm not ready to stop yet!

RainbowsFriend Thu 14-Feb-13 21:37:05

I had a milk duct that was blocked for weeks and was bloody painful - in the end I squeezed it like a spot and a hard lump, almost the size and shape of uncooked grain of rice (!) popped out followed by a fountain of milk from behind that went on for some time....

So not a milk "blister" but a hard white blockage! - Could be your problem?

flipflopper Fri 15-Feb-13 11:51:28

ow rainbow! Did it hurt when you squeezed it? Mine is agony to touch.

Having the same issue. That nipple is agony for her to latch/feed on.

Gingersnap88 Fri 15-Feb-13 12:47:58

I get blebs all the time, they are so painful and I've nearly given up a couple of times.

Hot compresses, scraping, massage, expressing all work. The best cure I've found is 2 teaspoons of Epsom salts in hot water, then soak for nipple for 10 mins before feeding / expressing.
I found I was getting them (always on right breast) because of how I was sleeping. I haven't had on for months since I stopped leaning on my right side.

Expressing is an odd one, it can depend on time of day etc. try doing it after a hot bath / shower in the evening or mornings.

Gingersnap88 Fri 15-Feb-13 12:49:18

Another tip. Cotton wool with olive oil on it, in your bra over nipple, it will soften the bleb and help it burst. If it keeps happening its because it keeps getting blocked / it hasn't all come out

RainbowsFriend Fri 15-Feb-13 16:21:56

Ooh yes it fucking killed when I squeezed it - and really dug my nails in as well - but it was soon fixed afterwards.

leedy Fri 15-Feb-13 16:43:48

Lecithin supplements can help with blockages too. Ooh, and ibuprofen, gets any swelling down.

showtunesgirl Fri 15-Feb-13 17:19:38

I only ever had one once and I popped it with a sterilised needle. It was fine in about 24 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now