If your baby cluster fed, how did it stop and when?

(15 Posts)
ChunkyChicken Wed 13-Feb-13 12:33:53

Thankfully I do not get the cluster feeding but know of other mums that have and can relay their advice.

Seems to me its 2 issues - no naps & constant evening feeds.

Have you tried a feed before doing a bed time routine (bath etc) then another feed? Could you express so she has a bottle before the bath etc, making it easier to get a bigger quantity initially, then feed to sleep?
Could you try a night time routine a bit earlier in the evening? Obviously with a 4yo, it might be tricky...

Daytime naps. Do you have a routine? Have you tried just putting her in her cot? Obviously if she's screaming that won't work, but grumbling can be ignored for a few minutes perhaps?

Tbh I am incredibly lucky with the ease at which both my dc have napped & sleep at night. DS, 13wo, now self settles at night and for a 'proper' afternoon nap when my 2.9yo DD has her nap. Bliss!! But I can't say I've done anything special - they just must have inherited DH's lazy gene wink However, I did start a good night routine with DD at a couple of mths old & the core of it is still there. Perhaps DS heard it when he was inside?!! smile

Gingerbreadlatte Wed 13-Feb-13 10:36:56

Thanks guys.

Stunt- grin thrilled you remember me! I couldn't keep up on the nov12 thread as work was so manic and i was so knackered. Will come back over. smile

Glad I'm not alone Catbsg and Ellan tho sorry you have/had the same issues. I suspect I need to stop fighting it.

Will look at a swing- we have a vibrating bouncy chair but she is so big now it practically lies flat with her in it !!

Catbag Wed 13-Feb-13 09:36:51

become*

Catbag Wed 13-Feb-13 09:35:32

ellan I have just come through the 4 month sleep regression. 16 weeks to the day. They were awake every hour between 11pm and 6am, feeding for up to 45 mins then sleeping for 30-40 mins before waking to do the same thing all over again. Lasted for six days and I was a complete zombie. I have becime accustomed to about 4-5 hours broken sleep a night, but this was a killer. Was getting about three hours in half hour chunks. They also have NEVER napped for more than five to ten minutes in the day. It is a good job I like them, or they might end up in the bin grin

Catbag Wed 13-Feb-13 09:30:14

Oh, forgot, the twins are 17+1

Catbag Wed 13-Feb-13 09:29:33

Mine were absolute buggers for cluster feeding. It would be non-stop from about 4pm up until 10-ish. It stopped about four weeks ago when I gave up trying to have an evening and started going to bed when they started showing signs of being tired, usually around 7:30/8:00pm (I am cosleeping at the moment). Magically they just started sleeping until about midnight/1am or so. I go to sleep at about 9:30pm (I spend the quiet time while they are feeding and dropping off to sleep on MN!) and that three to four hour stretch is the most I get over the night.

I am aware that I am saving up a boatload of pain when I try to get them to sleep in their cot grin

Sorry there isn't really help or advice there. Just know that you are not alone!

ellangirl Wed 13-Feb-13 09:13:56

Gingerbread I know how you feel! My dd is a terrible daytime sleeper too. 45 mins max in crib, sometimes 20 mins only.she wakes up as soon as car stops, only thing that works is the sling. She settles best in evening if she's asleep until 5pm- 2 hours is really her max stay awake time. Also, I find my dd gets overstimulated with all the things we go to with DS, his tv programmes after tea etc, and that affects her sleep too.

I keep reading about 4 month sleep regressions, which makes me laugh as surely you can't have a regression when they didn't sleep in the first place!!

Have you got a baby swing? Some people find their babies sleep well in those for daytime naps. Also, try white noise (I use digital radio 'natural sounds') and have it playing for all naps and all night! It's quite good to block out other household sounds (I have 3 year old DS who is incapable of beng quiet and a manic dog!)

StuntNun Wed 13-Feb-13 08:39:49

Gingerbreadlatte how are you doing? Not great obviously with the no sleep and everything. You started the Nov 12 antenatal threads last year. Come back to us www.mumsnet.com/Talk/postnatal_clubs/1680077-November-2012-More-group-hugs-and-moral-support-please there are plenty of others in the same boat right now!

There are a number of things that could be causing the cluster feeding. For example babies with silent reflux sometimes feed to sooth their sore throats. My DS3 is 13 weeks and he cluster fed until recently but I think it was to tank himself up for a longer sleep (6 hours) at night. He's had a cold recently so he's waking more frequently in the night but then not cluster feeding in the evenings.

Try the Nov 2012 thread, you're bound to get some good advice on there as between us we've been through everything and all the babies there are a similar age to yours.

Gingerbreadlatte Wed 13-Feb-13 08:29:28

Hi Evis and Ellan

once she is asleep she usually stays and then does ok over night with 1 or 2 wakings.

Overtired is very likely. She is a nightmare for daytime naps. He went to sleep quicker the other night after I got a cat nap out of her in the sling at 5pm.

She won't go to sleep am without feeding. If she takes a nap she won't sleep for long.

Tbh I am a mess after 3 months if literally no time alone, no time with my 4 yr old alone, no time with my Dh. hmm no meals eaten with 2 hands.

I think she is in growth spurt now as she woke again at 11 last night and seems ravenous.

Thing is she is massive. On almost. 99th centile for weight and length. Surely she can't grow any more. ?!

ellangirl Wed 13-Feb-13 04:19:21

Could she be overtired? I find if my 15 week old dd is overtired, it takes a few feeds to calm her and help her get to sleep for the night properly. After that night feeds are quick and she's back in bed. I try to make sure I'm not feeding get to sleep, just until she's calm and v sleepy, then take her off boob.

How does your LO sleep at night? It may be a way to help them sleep longer. My DD is 16 weeks and some nights cluster feeds and some nights doesn't. Not helpful I know but I just resign myself to sitting on the sofa and stuffing my face

Gingerbreadlatte Wed 13-Feb-13 03:33:56

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 12-Feb-13 23:18:10

Anyone? Please !!smile

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 12-Feb-13 22:44:31

Please grin

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 12-Feb-13 22:44:20

Dd2 is 14wks and takes forever to go to sleep in the evenings. Seems to need to suckle feed for ages before going off to deep sleep. I'm desperate for some time back in the evenings.

Tell me how your cf days ended please. Is there anything I can do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now