EBF newborn question please help

(7 Posts)
zoobaby Wed 13-Feb-13 20:55:10

I third the burping recommendation. Who ever knew that BF babies need winding? Certainly not the MW who told me otherwise.

My DS kept being sick for probably the first 3 months. Thankfully it was a laundry problem rather than a belly problem.

I read somewhere that you tend to overestimate how much they're bringing back up. Get a teaspoon of milk and spill it on the kitchen bench. It's only 5mL but will look like quite a lot.

ThreeWheelsGood Wed 13-Feb-13 17:48:48

We found this happened if we didn't burp her or if we laid her down too soon after feeding. So, when changing sides, make sure to burp her. You can't overfeed a BF baby, she'll stop sucking when she is done. It gets easier - eventually the feeds are shorter and more spaced apart. Hang in there!

Zara1984 Tue 12-Feb-13 08:57:43

Don't worry you're doing fine! My newborn DS used to vomit plenty and then want more food straight afterwards when he was breastfed and then when he was on formula 2 weeks later!! I think he would be a bit of a guts and take too much for his small tummy.

But remember to get that wind up, DS still brings up milk 5 mins after a feed if I haven't got burps out of him.

Listen to PurplePidgin, good advice there! smile

PurplePidjin Tue 12-Feb-13 07:46:25

You can't overfeed an ebf baby chanted to myself through gritted teeth to my mil if she's sucking, she needs something - food, comfort or to stimulate your supply ready for a growth spurt.

Set yourself up comfortably on the sofa with kindle/book/smartphone, travel mug of hot drink, and plenty of chocolate biscuits healthy snacks smile

Wrt the sick, is there lots or just a bit of lumpy dribble? Does she arch her back, bring her knees up to her tummy or cry in pain between feeds?

Forgetfulmog Tue 12-Feb-13 06:04:29

Yep mine was the same. Just keep switching sides. The problem is that they have such small stomachs that even a little bit of sick/posetting empties their stomach a little bit so they need to top up. She may also be comfort suckling a little but you shouldn't offer a dummy until bf is established. This phase will pass soon

Is she properly sick or possetting?

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 12-Feb-13 01:25:05

Hi
My newborn is 2 weeks old. She is cluster feeding and i think I'm overfeeding her?
She had one side then offered her the other which she drank from twice she was sick and still wanted feedibg more- this happened earlier today constant feeding sick and still wanting more- should I carry on feeding her? Did this happen with your dc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now