EBF newborn question please help

(7 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Tue 12-Feb-13 01:25:05

Hi
My newborn is 2 weeks old. She is cluster feeding and i think I'm overfeeding her?
She had one side then offered her the other which she drank from twice she was sick and still wanted feedibg more- this happened earlier today constant feeding sick and still wanting more- should I carry on feeding her? Did this happen with your dc?

Is she properly sick or possetting?

Forgetfulmog Tue 12-Feb-13 06:04:29

Yep mine was the same. Just keep switching sides. The problem is that they have such small stomachs that even a little bit of sick/posetting empties their stomach a little bit so they need to top up. She may also be comfort suckling a little but you shouldn't offer a dummy until bf is established. This phase will pass soon

PurplePidjin Tue 12-Feb-13 07:46:25

You can't overfeed an ebf baby chanted to myself through gritted teeth to my mil if she's sucking, she needs something - food, comfort or to stimulate your supply ready for a growth spurt.

Set yourself up comfortably on the sofa with kindle/book/smartphone, travel mug of hot drink, and plenty of chocolate biscuits healthy snacks smile

Wrt the sick, is there lots or just a bit of lumpy dribble? Does she arch her back, bring her knees up to her tummy or cry in pain between feeds?

Zara1984 Tue 12-Feb-13 08:57:43

Don't worry you're doing fine! My newborn DS used to vomit plenty and then want more food straight afterwards when he was breastfed and then when he was on formula 2 weeks later!! I think he would be a bit of a guts and take too much for his small tummy.

But remember to get that wind up, DS still brings up milk 5 mins after a feed if I haven't got burps out of him.

Listen to PurplePidgin, good advice there! smile

ThreeWheelsGood Wed 13-Feb-13 17:48:48

We found this happened if we didn't burp her or if we laid her down too soon after feeding. So, when changing sides, make sure to burp her. You can't overfeed a BF baby, she'll stop sucking when she is done. It gets easier - eventually the feeds are shorter and more spaced apart. Hang in there!

zoobaby Wed 13-Feb-13 20:55:10

I third the burping recommendation. Who ever knew that BF babies need winding? Certainly not the MW who told me otherwise.

My DS kept being sick for probably the first 3 months. Thankfully it was a laundry problem rather than a belly problem.

I read somewhere that you tend to overestimate how much they're bringing back up. Get a teaspoon of milk and spill it on the kitchen bench. It's only 5mL but will look like quite a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now