Ebf baby-Cluster feeding should it be every night?

(2 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Sun 10-Feb-13 08:40:36

My 12 day old baby fed twice last night once at 2am and again at 4.30 am whereas she normally cluster feeds from 1 to 3/4am- should newbirns be cluster feedibg every night or is this a sign that feedibg is settling down?

I think usually the cluster feeding happens in the evening and is more like feeding every half hour, so attached pretty much constantly. Do you mean she was feeding constantly between 1 and 3 am or a feed at 1 and 3 before? Sounds like she may have been cluster feeding between 1 and 3 before and now settling down.

Your prolactin levels are higher over night, between 1am and 4am I think and so baby should feed at least once between these times to ensure adequate milk supply which may be the reason for the 1/3am feeding and now she's happy with your supply she's letting you sleep a bit!

I wouldn't worry, they tend to go up and down in how much they feed depending on growth spurts and know exactly what they need to do. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now