Dehydration/illness and breastmilk production

(7 Posts)
smk84 Thu 07-Feb-13 23:09:03

Have been ill with virus for 6 days and have developed tonsilitis. For the last 24 hours I have not been able to eat anything and all day today have hardly taken any fluids. I am just pumping as I normally do this time of day and only getting drips. Could this be the result of illness /lack of fluids? Will my supply go back to normal after I can start drinking again? My other pumps today were ok. Ds is 8 months and mainly bottle fed now, mixture of formula and bm. He was ebf to 18 weeks. Thank you.

amazingmumof6 Fri 08-Feb-13 12:16:21

yes, your instinct is right, being ill and dehydrated will effect your supply, but once you are better you can get back to normal - you might need extra stimulation for 3-4 days, but it will be ok.

when I stopped bf DS2 at 8 months I still had breast milk in both breast after 6 weeks!!!

milk does not dry up in a matter of days, not even a week, so please try not to worry about it!smile

try to eat some Manuka honey, highest factor you can afford.
easy to swallow, it will keep you nourished and has antibacterial and antiviral properties, so could help with fighting your illnesses.

I had a nasty throat infection 2 years ago, I was unable to eat, even swallowing my own saliva was torture, so I really sympathize with you! (used to have tonsillitis all the time as well, had then out when I was 23)

you can have soluable paracetamol, taste awful, but it will ease the pain enough for you to have a drink. try warm or cold whichever feels better.

echinacea tea or drops (A. Vogel) are also effective in preventing/colds and the like, you could try some, see if it strengthens your system.

Forget about anything else, sleep when baby sleeps and I really hope you get better soon!

big hugs!

amazingmumof6 Fri 08-Feb-13 12:17:01

oops I meant preventing/treating colds

smk84 Sat 09-Feb-13 10:53:17

Thanks for your help amazing, that's very reassuring. Think we have some Manuka honey in the cupboard.... Do I just try to eat it neat, or mix with water to make a drink? My supply is definitely down. It's such a pain because I was struggling to fit in the 3-4 pumps a day, with looking after my other ds, weaning ds with snacks and meals plus he hardly sleeps during the day. Maybe this is a sign that its time to switch entirely to formula sad

MrsHoarder Sat 09-Feb-13 11:01:08

Can you feed him direct: better for increasing your supply and he'll get more out.

smk84 Sat 09-Feb-13 14:05:08

Unfortunately mrs h he is not interested 95% of the time. He often doesn't want to latch. When he does he is on off on off, and prone to biting me if this happens. This is all before the fast flow starts !

amazingmumof6 Sat 09-Feb-13 16:43:00

with the honey - you can eat it neat or mix it in warm (not hot, that would destroy the "goodness") water or juice or tea - whatever is easiest for you.

if he's impatient at the breast you could of course stop, but think ahead, if you stop now, will you look back and feel regretful for stopping at the time you weren't well or not?

sometimes I'm ready to stop and a good excuse like this comes handy!smile

I hope you are feeling better now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now