Leaving BF baby overnight

(14 Posts)

Can it be done? My MIL has offered to have DD overnight to give me a break but she's still waking at night for feeds <sob>. Is it ok to give her bottled breast milk overnight? I read somewhere that the 4am feed is crucial for my supply and it has a lot of lovely stuff in it at this time. Is it ok to miss? Has anyone done it?

KatherineKrupnik Thu 07-Feb-13 20:07:05

How old is baby?

iwillsleepagainsomeday Thu 07-Feb-13 20:07:59

Why would you do it? Genuine question.

iwillsleepagainsomeday Thu 07-Feb-13 20:08:32

I wouldnt and havent until they slept through

Lostonthemoors Thu 07-Feb-13 20:09:04

I wouldn't have done this because I don't think my DS would have been happy away from me.

How old is your baby?

There are loads of ways mil could help without her having the baby all night - eg she could come and stay over and do all nappies in the evening and any winding needed - that way you could take to your bed for the evening, just feeding when needed. She could get up and do the happy changes after the night feeds too - that way you wouldn't need to wake up 100% for any feed at night and could stay in bed.

KatherineKrupnik Thu 07-Feb-13 20:10:54

If baby is small you will have to wake up & pump to save you from discomfort.

When mine was small - less than 4 months - occasionally i would leave DP a bottle, & go to sleep at 8 in the spare room, he'd wake me about 1 to do the rest of the night.

Had a night away at 7 months & had to pump frequently for comfort.

Lostonthemoors Thu 07-Feb-13 20:15:40

Good point Katherine - you will have to express to maintain supply and save mastitis, do you won't get more sleep. Plus you will probably really miss your dd and not sleep a wink.

Some other ways mil can help without taking your dd for the night:

Bring over some meals for the freezer so you can cook straight from frozen without doing any food prep.

Take dd for a quick walk in the pushchair while you have a bath.

Are you sleeping while your dd sleeps? If not, I would definitely start doing this.

I know how tough it can be!

KatherineKrupnik Thu 07-Feb-13 20:20:09

It's bloody galling waking up to spend time with a pump when you could be asleep!

Sorry missed the vital details. She's 16 weeks old. Hadn't really thought about having to pump overnight so it sounds like it may be pointless.
It was an offer made in good faith but made me feel like I should be doing it. She did the same for my SIL but my nephew was FF. I'm not sure I feel comfortable with it tbh but I also know someone from my BFing group who has done it

Lostonthemoors Thu 07-Feb-13 20:48:35

Its very kind of her to offer elvis, but I think you need to tell her that for bf baby of that age it won't help you because of the fact you'll need to pump through the night to keep your supply up as nighttime feeds are particularly crucial to supply.

Would she be up for staying over with you guys for a night and helping with cooking and nappies?

KatherineKrupnik Thu 07-Feb-13 21:33:04

It's a really nice offer as long as it is something that you feel would work for you. Personally it wouldn't have worked for me & my breastfed babies but it might work for others. I think it would be a great idea to harness her enthusiasm in other ways that might work better for you - for example if she stayed overnight & looked after baby in the morning while you napped?

Thank u everyone. I wasn't sure if I was being a bit PFB about it. although part of me really wanted someone else to do the night feeds grin I may suggest she helps out in other ways. She's quite keen!!

Lostonthemoors Fri 08-Feb-13 08:03:09

Good plan elvis and no not pfb at all! Keeping your little baby with you at a times is a massive maternal instinct for a reason!

Lucky you having a mil who offers to help!

thehumanegg Fri 08-Feb-13 12:03:22

Even as a ff'er, I wouldn't have wanted this. Don't feel bad for turning down nice offers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now