Anyone else trying to lose weight while breastfeeding?

(16 Posts)
Londonmrss Thu 07-Feb-13 08:36:39

My baby is 15 weeks and it's finally time for me to accept that breastfeeding alone is not going to shift the baby weight- I have to keep my fingers out of the biscuit tin. I've got a couple of stone to drop, so I started a proper sensible balanced diet this week. Am aiming too lose about a pound a week but I don't tend to weigh myself so it's more about feeling healthy and less wobbly. Anyone want to join me for support and an exchange of ideas?

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Thu 07-Feb-13 08:42:01

Me too, dd2 is 18 weeks and Ive been just trying to be sensible for the last couple of weeks. I'm about 2 stone over, lost 5lbs so far but been a bit lax on the cake front this week so expecting to have out some back on sad

I weigh on Thursday nights at a local slimming club but I don't follow their diet plans etc for fear of affecting my milk supply.

I'll definitely keep you company, sure there must be others too.

Iheartpasties Thu 07-Feb-13 08:42:44

Come and join us - new mummies with wibbly tums. I don't know how to link?! It's in weightloss etc some of us are breastfeeding smile

OhMyNoReally Thu 07-Feb-13 08:46:08

Yes I would love to join you. My ds is 3 months now, my last child and I would love to be the same weight I was before I had my first dc. So I have a stone to loose. I've so far lost 4 pounds, but I've heard if you don't shift the weight in babies first year it's harder to loose. So I am now ready to start and am hoping the 2 mile walk to school, pushing a double buggy will help.

Londonmrss Thu 07-Feb-13 08:51:45

But iheartpasties I don't just have a wibbly tum, but also wibbly thighs, a massive arse and several extra chins! Would I still be allowed to join? I'll check it out.

Would people still like a new support thread here? I'd be up for it. I've just downloaded the myfitnesspal app but I don't really like calorie counting, it seems a bit obsessive.

Iheartpasties Thu 07-Feb-13 08:56:56

Sorry was breastfeeding when I wrote my reply smile we've got a lovely supportive thread going, join us if you fancy it, we're only on the second thread. Everyone is just losing weight gently smile

thompson369 Thu 07-Feb-13 13:17:55

I may join you too, if I don't just to mention I'm trying weightwatchers, you get extra points (quite a lot extra actually!) if you bf, plus you can earn extra by doing activity. So far I'm finding it ok, I do miss the large volumes of sweet things, bread, butter, crisps etc etc but that's precisely what I needed to cut out to drop the stone I want to shift!! I'll keep an eye out here but good luck with it.

Moominmamma86 Thu 07-Feb-13 16:52:33

Hello, I'm trying to lose weight while breastfeeding my four month old. It's been slowly happening over the past months but is slightly hampered by my constant chocolate cravings! It really has got a bit excessive. Wondering if there's such a thing as breastfeeding cravings, as I wasn't like this whilst pregnant or before... Probably just an excuse though! I think I need help with my power, some moral support would be great!

Moominmamma86 Thu 07-Feb-13 16:53:23

oops, I meant willpower not power!

thompson369 Thu 07-Feb-13 18:01:47

I'm experiencing exactly same thing with bf cravings, never had such a sweet tooth before!

Moominmamma86 Thu 07-Feb-13 18:57:50

It's odd isn't it? Glad I'm not the only one! At the moment it's cadbury's mini eggs as they've got them on multibuy everywhere. So moreish!

Londonmrss Thu 07-Feb-13 19:04:03

me too! I never had a sweet tooth before... am mostly using willpower to avoid the chocolate at the moment. Mary ask my husband to hide it...

Me too can I join? DD is 16 weeks and I've lost 2 stone so far. The last 10lbs are hard though particularly when I keep eating lindor chocolates.

Londonmrss Thu 07-Feb-13 20:10:43

wow Elvis, 2 stone is impressive!! how did you do it? I'm only just starting out because I've been burying my head in the sand until now...

London, I think I went a bit mad at the end if my pregnancy and ate all sorts of crap, so this has calmed down since I had her. We also only have one car which my DH takes to work so I have to walk everywhere. plus baby NEVER sleeps unless I'm walking hmm

PoppyWearer Thu 07-Feb-13 20:51:30

I lost 2 stone last year whilst breastfeeding. I highly recommend WeightWatchers, as someone's already said you get extra points for bf'ing, a LOT more. That weekly weigh-in is a huge motivation.

It also helps if you have a major event coming up where you will be seeing loads of people you haven't seen in ages. That alone was enough motivation for me to lose the first stone very quickly.

Getting out with the buggy at nap time and walking is a great thing to do. Can you find a local buggyfit group or similar?

P.S. 15wo still very young, with my DC1 I didn't even think about my weight until she was 9mo! A bit younger with DC2, I admit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now