What am I doing wrong? Why is my 1 week old vomiting so much today?

(8 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Wed 06-Feb-13 18:07:14

My baby is 1 week old today and he fed well until today. He is formula fed.

He is small, only 5lbs and 8 oz so he doesn't eat huge amounts.

I feed him every 3 hours although sometimes it is every 2.5 hours as he gets very hungry.
I allow plenty of breaks as he feeds so it's not all being taken in in one go.
I burp him and usually can get his wind up; if it takes more than 10 mins to burp him I usually stop.
I don't lie him down straight away after feeding.

However, from today he is vomiting everything he eats. I have changed him umpteen times today and his mattress in pram.

Please advise me; this is my first baby and I am just finding my feet- don't really have much of a clue! confused

I just hate my baby being sick each time he eats as I feel he is not getting the nutrients he needs, especially as he is small and has some catching up to do!

Helpyourself Wed 06-Feb-13 18:59:58

So young the main risk is dehydration.
Are his nappies wet? I'd call NHS direct in any case.

tiktok Wed 06-Feb-13 19:11:18

Poor baby...poor you sad

I agree - this is worrying. Better than NHS Direct is the midwife number you will have been given (should have been given) to call with any concerns about his or your health. If you haven't got it, call the maternity unit where you gave birth and ask them for it.

Iggly Wed 06-Feb-13 20:19:52

There's a chance he might be intolerant to the protein in cows milk. It's about 1-3% of babies I think?

Keep a record of his feeds and how often he's sick and how much. Take it to your GP - explain exactly how much he's sick and don't be fobbed off as yes babies spit up but they don't vomit out loads all the time unless something is up IMO.

lyndie Wed 06-Feb-13 20:28:18

Projectile? Vomiting up just milk straightaway or smelly lumpy stuff some time after feeds?

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Wed 06-Feb-13 20:36:14

I hope you've spoken to someone and had some advice. Tbh at just a week old I would not feel at all silly going to A&E for a check if there are no other options. You should get a dr to look just in case of dehydration. Keep a count of wet nappies.

smile4me Wed 06-Feb-13 20:40:57

Chucking up a lot can be totally normal too as long as it's not green (bile). Reflux is really common and doesn't need treating unless baby is miserable with it. My DD has power chucked huge quantities since birth, sometimes looks like a cupful smile , it gets mixed with saliva in the stomach, so it always looks more than it is, and can be hours since last feed (overnight) but is otherwise healthy. I agree that you need to keep an eye on number of wet nappies in particular and call dr if you're concerned.

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Wed 06-Feb-13 20:47:31

It could be normal but a small baby just a week old, I'd get him checked anyway to be on safe side.

Also it can take a while for bile to appear by which time it is an emergency, better to get checked early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now