ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Really want to breastfeed

(28 Posts)
Mummabubbles Tue 05-Feb-13 12:05:56

Dc3 is due in 6 weeks ( never attempted to bf dc1&2) and I'm really keen to give it a go but I seem to only ever hear horror stories about it being painful, relentless, exhausting etc. even on here. Is it really that bad? Beginning to wonder if it will just be easier to pop a bottle in!! Someone please post something that doesn't make me want to burn my breast feeding bras and fill the cupboards with tins of formula.....

zoobaby Tue 05-Feb-13 21:00:14

EBFing my PFB who is now 20 weeks old. I found the first 3 days difficult but once my milk came in, things improved remarkably. Definitely have lansinoh cream on hand and use it straight away. It's miracle stuff! Sore breasts are par for the course cos there's actual rubbing and friction and moisture on a sensitive part of the body. I just had to remember to "suck it up princess".

I'd say that at about week 3 I realised that BF isn't something I'd have to 'endure' like a lot pregnancy stuff, and I started to rather enjoy it. I often think how glad I am to avoid all that endless faffing about with bottles. I have a few for expressing but am actually relieved that DP isn't overly fussed with giving them. Wherever I go, there's always a ready supply of food on tap.

I guess one downside is having no idea of exactly what time DS is likely to want a feed, but after a couple of weeks it does become more predictable and you can have a rough idea of timing once the day has started.

zoobaby Tue 05-Feb-13 21:17:51

I'd add... Make sure you're totally happy with the advice/guidance given to you.

As a newbie you have no idea how it will/should feel, or if your experience is the right experience. I distinctly remember answering with "I GUESS it's going well and I GUESS it doesn't hurt" (it was going well, but it did hurt so therefore had potential to turn to not going well).

If it doesn't feel right, then keep asking. After all MWs etc know what to look for, but it's not their boob on the receiving end. First couple of days I asked every single MW to observe and offer advice. It's the same with any new skill. Some people have a better knack of being able to communicate on your wavelength. One particular MW showed me the TRUE correct latch with no pain. Once I'd experienced how that sensation felt it As amazing. I wouldn't say it's totally painless at the start but it was bearable.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you and your LO.

blonderthanred Tue 05-Feb-13 22:19:06

I love bfing my 14 wk old DS. It's an absolute pleasure.

I would say:
Use the Lansinoh. The first week my nips were sore but not unbearable, then they were fine.
You can't bf too often in the early days/weeks. The evening cluster feeding took me by surprise but if you stop fighting it, it just becomes part of your day.
If you think there is a problem, speak up. Find the experts, don't just assume the mws/HVs know everything or anything. My DS's tongue tie was only cut at 11 wks and we had had weeks of poor weight gain. I had to fight my corner and trust my instincts.
However, that's the only problem I've had - no mastitis, cracked nips or anything like that.

Nothing beats looking into your DC's eyes while bf or seeing them come away with a blissful smile and milky chops. Good luck, it will work out for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now