Need to wean 2 year old -help!

(10 Posts)
icepole Tue 05-Feb-13 07:05:50

I was going to wait until she was ready but I can't night wean her despite trying constantly since she was one. I am exhausted. I need to sleep.

I have no idea how to do this. She is very clingy. Screams her head off if I refuse. Ds was so easy compared to this, I cut down really gently but it's not working with dd.

Suggestions please, am desperate!

conkertree Wed 06-Feb-13 21:56:21

Can anyone else deal with her overnight for a few nights? I found ds3 was fine settling for others, but would only settle for me if I bf him.

icepole Thu 07-Feb-13 14:51:03

Dh works away but we did try this over Christmas but she was hysterical, gave up after ten days as she was getting worse not better. Stubborn monkey.

tuttavia Thu 07-Feb-13 17:20:08

Do you co-sleep?

icepole Fri 08-Feb-13 09:02:41

She comes through half way through the night and stays in with me.

tuttavia Fri 08-Feb-13 17:28:32

I have just very successfully (and painlessly) night-weaned ds (23 months) using Jay Gordon's method. It's designed for co-sleepers, and it worked really well. Have you tried it?

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

tuttavia Fri 08-Feb-13 17:29:01

Try again:

drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

leedy Fri 08-Feb-13 17:33:13

We used a variation on the Dr Jay Gordon method with DS1, worked very well too, highly recommend.

icepole Fri 08-Feb-13 19:12:09

Thanks will check it out!

tuttavia Fri 08-Feb-13 19:26:40

Hope it works out for you. For us the first night was the worst, and it really did get easier and easier as we went along. I was quite stunned at how quickly ds got the idea and accepted it. (Previously, he was waking hourly to feed.)

We still co-sleep, and still breastfeed during the day. He still wakes up once a night, but either just goes straight back to sleep as soon as I stroke him, or has a few sips of water and goes to sleep. He's never awake for more than about two minutes, and only once a night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now