stopping breastfeeding at nearly 13 months

(3 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Sat 02-Feb-13 07:01:17

thanks for the advice, she is still playing up for me, but less so for DP so i am hopeful. not sure how to take it from here really as she seems to expect a feed off me again now, she even complains and cries if its a short feed. i think she knows something is up!
will prob see how it goes for the next week or so and see what happens. don't really know the best way to stop!

Maghag Thu 31-Jan-13 04:52:09

I stopped with DD at 13 months too. It was the last feed to go and before we totally stopped I started a bedtime routine of boob, story, then quiet cuddle all in her bedroom with the light low. After about a week we dropped the boob and had our special cuddle instead with a cup of warm cows milk (which she'd been having at other times during the day for about 2 months).
THe first night we did it DH sat in on bedtime story which totally freaked her as it wasn't normal. Second night, just back to us and she had a bit of prod and made it clear what she wanted but I didn't give in. After that, she didn't seem bothered.
The key thing for us was to change the routine before we took the boob away so she was used to the story and special quiet cuddle but then just minus the boob.
She's now 16 months and we're having a nightmare with the sleeps but that's a whole other story.
Good luck. You won't know yourself once you've stopped.

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 30-Jan-13 21:01:57

finally we are in the process of weaning DD completely off boob. i have to say it was all seeming a bit too good to be true. she went to bed for 2 nights without the boob and was fine, then she winged a bit on the 3rd night, then cried a bit more on 4th and 5th night and now come 6th night she went in to full blown hysterics and i ended up giving in (for about 2 mins, she was not happy about this and wanted more).

the only thing different is that i put her to bed first 3 nights, then 4th and 5th night dp put her to bed, then tonight i put her to bed. dp is going to try again tomorrow and we'll see what happens but i'm scared now that i've given in she'll just scream and go hysterical sad

any advice really appreciated. i thought we had cracked it and now it feels like we're back at square one. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now