How to stay awake during night feeds part 7 - put in your orders for sleepy dust!

(1000 Posts)
TeaandHobnobs Tue 29-Jan-13 23:26:12

Can't believe we are on part 7! and I'm still here

Welcome one and all smile

larlemucker Wed 27-Feb-13 19:11:05

How old is baby bee amey? Just wondering how long I have till that starts!!

Smallgreenone Wed 27-Feb-13 19:17:11

Hi all, not up to date with the thread at all but just letting you know we have go e totally backwards and sleeping through is a distant memory.
Funch- awful news, how terribly sad.
Brain- relationships really struggle when you're so tired. Dh got angry with me this morning when I was moaning about my no sleep and he shouted what did I want him to do and he had to go to work etc. I didn't actually want him to do anything other than hug me and tell me it won't be forever.
Mrsn- sorry you are having a tough time, I'm sure the ladies on here can help you. I don't have any experience with what you're going through so probably can't help but sending your hug.
I am now off to bed. Tough love for baby small starts tonight, no co sleeping.

Ameybee Wed 27-Feb-13 20:23:48

He's 5 months larle, much younger than DD was when she cut her first teeth! Couldn't believe it when I saw it!!

Small - good luck with no co sleeping! I have failed on that count several times after trying not to! Hope you have a better night!
Xx

larlemucker Wed 27-Feb-13 20:37:23

small we're going to be 'tough' tonight. I think I've been getting baby larle up to feed when he has been self settling. Don't like to leave him to cry in night incase he wakes Dh but I think I'm getting him up when he could be left so going to get tough on myself tonight and try to only get up and feed if he is awake or crying and not just stirring.

Been to school today to see my department, baby larle was pretty good till he did a massive poonami while people were eating lunch!!!

Hope you've all had sunshine today, it's been lovely here

StitchAteMySleep Wed 27-Feb-13 21:12:42

Oh funch that is terrible. I was in that position a few years ago when I was a year 8 form tutor, a young boy was murdered in a fight. Like you I didn't know the boy, but many in my form had classes with him. We had extra form time where we just chilled out and anyone who wanted to spoke about their feelings. The school also had a book that children and staff could write a message in that was given to the boys family which the children really found helpful. Does your school have a counsellor that can give you guidance/come and speak to your form?

MrsNPattz Wed 27-Feb-13 21:36:39

Small sorry things aren't so good - we haven't been sleeping through much either. Hope things improve.

Little man has started to lift his head and neck as if he wants to sit up all the time! It must be frustrating not being able to!

Will someone please tell him it is bedtime, he just will not go to sleep and I'm too tired for it!

BrainGoneAwol Wed 27-Feb-13 21:54:31

funch that's so awful and hard for you as a teacher. Sending hugs.

mrsn glad the Dr was helpful and you had a nice walk. It's amazing what a bit of sunshine can do.

small I'm with you there. It's so difficult and sometimes I just need to be told I'm doing an ok job and it will get better. Dp was great at the start but I feel it's a bit taken for granted that I'll just get on with it now. I hate fighting with dp and I know I am being irrational but dp just doesn't seem to believe I am at my wits end.

I rang my dm in the end and she said the right things. Bless her, she even rang back later with some suggestions. We've lifted the travel cot mattress so that I can trf babybrain more easily and I've decided I am going to try to limit babybrain to feeding at 6pm,10, 3am & 7. Perhaps it will work --and dp will just have to put

Ameybee Wed 27-Feb-13 22:43:16

Well, both kids been up screaming for last 30 mins confused. I def think tooth 2 is about to cut sad poor sausage has been properly wailing. Given calpol & anbesol & nurofen is ready! Wish I could make it go away for him! Poor DD has growing pains again, massaging her legs seems to help.

I'm tired already and so not hopeful of sleep! DH is sorting DD and I'm In with DS. Starting to wonder if we will ever sleep in the same bed together let alone anything else!!

Mrsn babybee is doing the head pulling thing too & he's not happy laid down at all! I've been sitting on floor with him between my legs so I can support him & in bath I hold him sat up & he splashes like mad!!

Eye bags will be bigger Tomo I'm sure!! X

Smallgreenone Wed 27-Feb-13 23:26:54

Well baby small has had his bottle and is currently whingeing at me through the monitor. Not crying just the odd grumble so hoping he'll drop off soon. It's after this feed that it all goes wrong but we normally put him down asleep rather than awake so I'm deludedly thinking putting him down awake will make all the difference! If only it were that easy.

Susieloo Wed 27-Feb-13 23:32:55

funch that's truly tragic, hope you are okay, what a traumatic event.

We are in first feed but he's not really hungry just cross with his cold-I am too, it doesn't seem to be getting better but its only been about three days. His new cot bed arrives tomorrow, its got to go in our room (dss and babyloo can't really share a room until he's in a bed-or we are hoping to move in the next 12 months to a three bed) I'm slightly worried that's it's going to be huge-oh well too late now!!

Nice to hear from you small and hope all is good goat if you're around

I am on second attempt at transfer .......

Oh and between 8-11 I dreamt that we were all still on here talking but in the sequel to Prometheus - it was quite cool!!

MissingMyMarbles Wed 27-Feb-13 23:56:16

Funchsad how awful. Prayers for your school and hope you're bearing up ok. Hope work is ok despite this.

Amey, I so know what you mean. DD1 is in our bed with me tonight as quite poorly again. DH has the luxury of being is in her bed which means a full nights' sleep for him. I wonder if we will ever have a full night in the same bed again! My DD1 gets growing pains in her legs too, and it can be quite distressing. Thankfully, Missmarbles seems settled tonight- say no more!!

MrsN, I hope you're feeling better, this evening. I agree with the letter idea; could be very cathartic. Glad you enjoyed the sunshine it's been lovely here toosmile sadly didn't get in it for long with DD1 being ill.

Brain, I hope you and DH get sorted out. Please don't be patronised by this, but if it helps.... I think the complete exhaustion is beyond them, but also having a baby is a major change to adapt to. I don't know a single couple who didn't have massive arguments, when their babies first came along, and I think it's just how men and women adapt differently to their new and different roles. Throw tiredness into the mix and it can be explosive. My mum and I had this conversation recently. Years ago, a friend told me men grow into being daddies and I think that is so true. We grow into being mummies too, but we have to do it quicker. DH is much better this time around but so am I. We certainly don't have it cracked; I'm more knackered than last time mainly because I am ancient by comparison as, unbelievably, Missmarbles, is a worse sleeper than her sisterhmm but I can handle it better. We still compete in the tiredness stakes, but we get on better. He uses his initiative more although not that much. He's grown up sone more, and he has just begun to realise he can neither, not do I want him to, 'fix' everything: sometimes a hug and looking like listening is enough. He also knows that every now and then I need to be told I'm a great motherwink We still row from time to time but less than when DD1 was a baby (and we are a generally non-rowing couple).

MrsNPattz Thu 28-Feb-13 01:34:03

First feed here, nights where he slept through are a long distant memory........

Brain I posted a few times about hubby and I arguing and how I wasn't prepared for the change to our marriage having a little one created, so I think as others have said it is normal! And it gets better, it just takes a lot more effort on both parts to make things work.

Amey it's fascinating seeing them develop isn't it. I got a letter through for his 6 month review yesterday - the more I think about the more I can't believe it's nearly 6 months since I had him. Scary!

Hope strangers/lurkers are doing ok - Goat, Pink etc

BrainGoneAwol Thu 28-Feb-13 02:20:27

Thanks mrsn and marbles, it's weirdly reassuring to know other couples struggle. We're actually a same sex couple so perhaps I am expecting dp to understand more than is fair, but everything you have said rings true. We reached an uneasy compromise yesterday of dp still not being willing to try to settle babybrain but being a bit more supportive of me trying things to get him to sleep better. I think that is the best I can hope for for now.
It turns out that dp is worried that spending hours trying to settle a screaming babybrain will result in babybrain rejecting/resenting dp. I don't think this is true but obviously I need to give some return support in this.

As if he knows, babybrain has just slept from 10-1.45. Something that hasn't happened for weeks. I don't want to count my chickens but I feel a lot more able to cope simply from those few extra hours. [tentative smile]

Susieloo Thu 28-Feb-13 02:45:25

2nd feed here - I'm hoping praying that this constant waking is cold related and he's feeding/waking note at night be star he's lost his appetite for food and his cough is waking him up-considering I've had two three hour stretches I'm surprised I still feel so tired-I need matchsticks to prop my eyes open.

brain glad things are a little better between you and dp

Jealous of those with sunshine today-it was grey and bitterly cold here, I walked up to mils and was planning on stating for a while but they didn't have there heating on so I had to come home I was so cold.

Attempting transfer

Smallgreenone Thu 28-Feb-13 02:47:37

Glad you reached a compromise brain but I think your dp needs to be more understanding and well done baby brain for a good stretch!
We've just done first feed since 11. He took precisely 12 minutes to fall asleep last time and this time he hasn't cried at all so do I go back to sleep or is he waiting for me to drift off before he starts?! Tough love is going better than I expected! My main aim for tonight is to have him in his cot all night. Normally he'd be in by now so we're doing better.
Oh there he is a little scream! I knew it was too good to be true!

MrsNPattz Thu 28-Feb-13 03:01:10

Second feed here - we have only been asleep an hour, ridiculous sad

Brain you will get there! Be kind to each other even when you want to throttle them

larlemucker Thu 28-Feb-13 03:13:13

Ah MrsN I know how you feel only getting an hour between feeds. I woke up to a red gro egg, yes red!!! And a sweaty baby larle!! It's meant to be -3 outside, think my new double glazing is doing its job!

Sorry to hear there are bad nights out there. Those of you with 2LOs how do you manage?? I'd love another one but I just don't know how you cope with 2!!!!

BrainGoneAwol Thu 28-Feb-13 03:37:32

Spoke a little too soon, babybrain woke 10 mins later farting and scratching at the mesh of his travel cot (whoever designed them clearly didn't have a fidgety baby - it makes an incredibly loud, annoying sound!) After a big poo which was obviously the problem, much talking, raspberry blowing and general giggling hmm , we're attempting a resettle.

Thank you again for all the support, I hadn't really appreciated how helpful this thread can be. smile

Hope those of you with awful sleep get some respite - small, mrsn, susie, larle.

small I hope that little scream stayed at just that and baby small settled quickly. larle just think of the electricity you are probably saving and you could always diversify into running a sauna

Susieloo Thu 28-Feb-13 06:37:31

Morning - we are up for the day, babyloo playing in his cot and I'm going to attempt a brew before I get up too-considering I've slept I feel horribly gritty eyed.

Have good days one and all

MissingMyMarbles Thu 28-Feb-13 07:14:07

Woop woop! Only three feeds last night! No transfer fails. Longest stretch nearly four hours! Huge improvement. smile
Didn't benefit though as DD1 really not a well girl sad

MrsNPattz Thu 28-Feb-13 07:46:39

Third feed or probably up time here. He woke up at half 6 but I barely woke - just put Ewan and the projector on and he settled until half 7.

At least we have nothing planned today, just going to work to the chemist to get my prescription. What is everyone else up to?

Hope DD1 gets better soon Marbles.

larlemucker Thu 28-Feb-13 09:12:58

Morning all. We had 2 feeds last night and no transfer fails, woo hoo!!! But I also feel groggy this morn, is it possible to have too much sleep when you've got used to 4 hours!!

We're off to stay and play today with my friend and her Dd then out for a walk this aft with the fluffy son!!

Think baby larle is losing his hair, he was really blond when he was born and you couldn't see his eye lashes as they were so fair but now his lashes are going darker and his hair is thinning so think it will grow back a different colour. Hope it does grow back!!!

Hope everyone else has a lovely day, going to be sunny here again!xx

BrainGoneAwol Thu 28-Feb-13 09:52:19

Had a pretty good second half. Babybrain slept from 3.45 to 5.45, I fed and was up for an hour and dp took him at 7 til 9.30.
Am slightly in shock at so many hours sleep. amey I agree that sometimes your body doesn't know what to do when you've only been getting a couple of hours for a while.

Sounds like there were better nights for most. brew to any who didn't or are absent through knackeredness.

Have good days grin

Smallgreenone Thu 28-Feb-13 15:05:25

Well the little scream turned out to be nothing and he fell asleep only to wake at 4, 5 and 6 but no idea why. I'm shattered today and am about to have an hour in bed as he's with his grandma now. Gorgeous day out there, hope you're all enjoying the sun

Ameybee Thu 28-Feb-13 15:19:47

Knackered but tooth no 2 through so at least we have something to show for our bad night! In case Anyone is interested boots have buy one get one half price on nuby teether toys (apparently multi texture to help teeth erupt - I'm sold!!) grin!

Think I'm a bit grumpy as I told a woman off for parking in a parent n child space when she was on her own blush - DD was saying 'why are you telling that lady off mummy ' x

This thread is not accepting new messages.