My 6 wk old feeding every 2hours and not a lot

(5 Posts)
Tagz269 Mon 28-Jan-13 17:48:14

Hi,
I wonder if someone could give me some advice. My baby girl was 6weeks in Saturday and for a while now (before 6weeks) she is feeding every 2 hours but only taking around 60-80ml then she would want to rest about an hour to hour and a half later. How can I get her to feed longer apart and take more? My health visitor said to try an stretch it out to 3 hours but he she's crying that's a whole different story!
At night she seem to have a routine of feeding around 10-11pm then not waking up till 4-5am then again at 7-8am which is good but I just want to get her used to feeding longer apart because I feel like I can't do anything without worrying when we next feed would be.
Some advice would be highly appreciated and to know that I'm not alone on this would be great!!
(Thanks)

RichardSimmonsTankTop Mon 28-Jan-13 18:56:53

She's still very little - her stomach is still tiny. At the same age my DD wasn't drinking nearly as much as that in one go, and was feeding every 2-2.5 hours. As time passes she'll drink more and the gaps will be longer. If she's hungry, she's hungry - feed her.

The fact that she's sleeping so well at night is amazing!

iwillsleepagainsomeday Mon 28-Jan-13 19:02:51

with the nights you are getting i would count my blessings!

DoItToJulia Mon 28-Jan-13 19:05:49

You just need to go with the flow, it really won't last long this bit, so I would stop stressing about it and enjoy your tiny baby.

McBaby Mon 28-Jan-13 20:00:57

If she is getting very tired feeding it could be hard work for her. Get her checked for tongue tie just to rule it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now