Breast feeding and alcohol

(4 Posts)
paranoid2android Fri 25-Jan-13 17:32:41

Hello , I still breast feed but would like to go out and have a few drinks next fri. But how does it work with the alcohol getting into the milk. Is there some way of timing it so the milk isn't made while I'm under the influence ? I can miss her evening and next morning feed and she can just eat food, but would I need to use a pump to get rid of the alcoholic milk? Thanks for your help,

paranoid2android Fri 25-Jan-13 17:33:31

Sorry forgot to mention my dd is 16 months so can easily miss the feeds and just have solids

leedy Fri 25-Jan-13 19:38:17

The amount of alcohol in your milk is related to the amount of alcohol in your bloodstream, it's not stored in your breasts, so there's no need to get rid of alcoholic milk - once you're not drunk any more your milk won't be even slightly alcoholic. No need to pump and dump, unless you want to pump for comfort if you're engorged!

Basically a very conservative guide is if you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to feed, but to be honest from what I've read you would need to be almost so drunk you were unconscious to pass a dangerous amount of alcohol on to baby. I'm sure you'd be fine to feed the following morning after a night with a few drinks. Also apparently the greatest danger of feeding when drunk is the risk of dropping the baby....

paranoid2android Fri 25-Jan-13 21:35:59

Oh great thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now