How much help would a walk-in centre give me for mastitis?

(8 Posts)
Ktay Fri 25-Jan-13 13:12:10

I fear I may be coming down with mild mastitis - feeling cold and achey + right boob (which I prob haven't been encouraging dd2 to drain properly as there's a cut on the nipple) is v tender, although not bright red. I can't get a GP appt today and we are off on holiday (France, if relevant...) on Sunday. Do you think it would be worth going to the walk-in centre so I can get some ABs to use if it gets worse while I'm away? Ideally I would be stopping BF soon anyway as dd2 turns 1 next week - but I think she has other ideas!

sherbetpips Fri 25-Jan-13 13:16:24

Is your health visitor not avaialble - you can always give her a call? have you tried to get an appointment with your own GP or have you said you will see any GP (i.e. locum) today?

buzzielizzie Fri 25-Jan-13 13:17:29

Poor you! I had mastitis with my first baby (ended up at out of hours surgery on a Saturday as it got worse quite quickly) and it is miserable. Does your GP have a duty doctor you can speak to for advice?

Ktay Fri 25-Jan-13 13:21:36

Wow - thanks for the sympathy and quick replies! No GPs were available but it would be possible to speak to one on the phone (and actually they are quite good at magicking up space if necessary) so I might try that in preference to my HV with the crap bedside manner. Thanks for the memory jog...

MarathonMama Fri 25-Jan-13 15:37:25

Yes, call the GP, I had mastisis and they prescribed anibiotics over the phone. Also, the receptionist said they couldn't help at first as they were fully booked but when I told them it was mastisis they got a dr to call within an hour.

I would definitely get something, esp as you are going on holiday. I had this a lot with DS1, and got to the stage when I wouldn't go anywhere without ABs.

MrsBungleBear Fri 25-Jan-13 15:51:23

I would definitely try and speak to a doctor before you go on holiday. When I had it, it got a lot worse really quickly - you don't want that on holiday!

Ktay Fri 25-Jan-13 16:31:47

Thanks all, lovely on-call GP fitted me in and prescribed ABs for use from tomorrow am if no better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now