To continue EBM or not?

(5 Posts)
preggersshock Fri 25-Jan-13 07:18:33

DD is 13 weeks old, 3 months today! & I am considering putting her onto a 100% formula and need to talk it through, DH thinks I should give up so conversation is short with him!

I had a terrible start to BF & ended up expressing from 10 days, I have a reduced milk supply, that combined with expressing 3 times a day means I get about 100-150ml a day & she is taking 220ml per feed now (5-6 times a day), I am considering giving up expressing, it is a very small amount to be giving her but I have always believed that any amount in matter how small will help boost her immune system & keep topping up those antibodies.

How much goodness is she actually getting? Is it worth continuing for such a small amount? I have blocked ducts and cracked nipples again & feel run down, I am sure the expressing is doing me no good, that said have absolutely no problem putting this to one side and getting on with it if it is worth it for DD but if the small amount is pointless then I may as well stop...

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 25-Jan-13 09:04:41

Think feeling run down could just be coping with a new baby. If you've got cracked and sore nipples, and are wondering whether to continue, I'd give one of the bfing helpline a call. The BFC should also be able to answer the " how much benefit is she getting" question. She should also be able to tell you how to increase your supply, should you decide to continue and how to avoid cracked nipples.

Try one of theses numbers.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 25-Jan-13 14:39:17

How are you feeling now? Have you managed to call one of the helplines?

preggersshock Fri 25-Jan-13 16:14:34

Ok thanks Jilted, called helplines, they are amazing grin Sadly though still feeling torn as to what to do, I think I am looking for someone to make the decision for me, which is obviously not going to happen. I think deep down I know that the quality time I could be spending with my daughter instead of expressing is more valuable. I just know though the first time she gets I'll I will blame myself for giving up ...

At docs now re. Ducts & cracks... Just waiting to be called in grin

Thanks for your concern x

preggersshock Fri 25-Jan-13 16:16:23

I mean ill as in sick not I'll wink

P.s back to work soon so would have to give up then anyway and don't want to regret wasting Aby precious time away from DD expressing rather than playing/bonding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now