how long can I not bf from one side before milk dries up?

(5 Posts)

My dts are 27mo, and bf twice a day. We ate in the habit that the each have their own sides, and this has helped reduce infection when one gets sick, so it's not something I want to change. But dt2 has a sore on his tongue and hasn't fed for 48 hours. He likes to fiddle with his side, or put his mouth round it (comfort, presumably) but he hasn't actually latched.

Am taking him to Dr tomorrow, but certainly until then, probably after, I don't want to let dt1 on that side in case he has anything infectious. On the other hand, his side is now a bit full and uncomfortable. So, if I continue not feeding, how long before my milk dries altogether? I do intend to stop bf in a couple of months, once we're through the norovirus season, but I'm not ready yet.

OrchidFlakes Thu 24-Jan-13 21:28:02

Can you pump on that one side for a day or two? That should ease your discomfort and keep the supply going.

No, haven't got a pump. Could attempt to hand express, and will if I get too uncomfortable, but it's not something I am very good at, unlikely to get more than a teaspoonful!

tiktok Fri 25-Jan-13 10:11:52

Mama, unlikely his sore is infected....does it look like it is?

If you are uncomfortable, gentle hand expressing should be sufficient, even if you only get a teaspoon.

At 27 months you will not dry up on one side for ages and ages....supply may drop as a result of not removing the milk but it will come back as soon as dt2 gets back to his usual feeding.

Thanks tiktok, good info. It's not so much I think this sore is infected (though dt1 has started complaining about a sore mouth tonight), but generally, since I have been really strict about one side each and a few other things like not sharing cups, hand washing, etc, sickness bugs have been limited to one child, whereas they used to get them in tandem.

As long as I won't dry up, I'll just keep going as we are, express for discomfort, and wait for him to seem interested again. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now