Do you give your baby an amount of time each side?

(16 Posts)
1978andallthat Thu 24-Jan-13 22:37:49

In that respect I've been lucky. With dd, and so far with ds, both happy breast or bottle and any teat and any temp.

Lostonthemoors Thu 24-Jan-13 22:17:19

I'd rather have a bottle refuser than a baby who stops bf, though. DS has never taken a bottle but had ebf from a cup on the days I worked, which was fine.

I wouldn't introduce an early bottle with my next dc either, because I've since read on the lll site that some people do have problems with bf after doing it.

1978andallthat Thu 24-Jan-13 21:31:43

Me too. Know five babies who offered bottle after a few months of ebf refused it. Lots of anguish and heartache for mums returning to work. I will be doing bits of work from three months so actually is good he will take bottle.

Weissdorn Thu 24-Jan-13 20:53:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1978andallthat Thu 24-Jan-13 19:09:08

Thank you.

No not wanting to ebf. Mix feeding suits us. Mix fed dd due to extreme weight loss and never found nipple/battle confusion. Mix fed until 18 mo in fact and stopped because 3 mo pg and knackered.

WantAnOrange Thu 24-Jan-13 12:23:14

Try to just roll with it at this stage, it really doesnt go on for very long, promise! DD's longest feed was 5 hours (yes 5!) She now feeds for 10-15 mins, at 16 weeks. I dont think it matters how often you switch tbh, I just used to switch sides after I burped her. Also if you feed on demand it may reduce the need for top-ups which is handy. The first few weeks really do require that you give all your time to it but then it gets so much easier.

Lostonthemoors Thu 24-Jan-13 12:09:06

It's totally normal for babies a few weeks old to want to feed for long stretches and often. In terms of what would be best, I think most bf counsellors would advise usually leaving them on as long as they want to be on and longer than 30 mins if that's what they want. They suck for comfort as well as food, so some of the sucking will be for soothing as well as eating.

My DS used to 'feed' for up to around an hour at that age and when he was cluster feeding it could be every 45 mins. The LLL bf counsellor told me it was completely normal feeding.

Introducing bottles under 6 weeks isn't ideal as it can get them confused about how to suck and spell the end of bf. The more ff you give the more your supply will reduce.

Some mums opt to try to drop some top ups and return slowly to full bf. is that something you would consider? If so the bd helplines would be able to advise you how to do it.

Bf does get much much easier after the first few weeks IME.

leonardofquirm Thu 24-Jan-13 12:03:53

At 3 weeks he is still tiny and working to establish supply.

Are the long feeds mostly starting in the evening? 'cluster feeding' is very common in younger babies and can go on for a while. the easiest thing is to sit and watch TV in the evening and just let them feed on and off.

smile

1978andallthat Thu 24-Jan-13 10:25:27

Boob not noon. Obv.

No I don't give him 3 hours. Not since first couple of nights. But given the chance he would stay on for ever. I give about 30 mins each side but given he has top up after each bf anyway want to know how long he needs before top up.

He is 3 weeks.

Lostonthemoors Thu 24-Jan-13 07:53:35

Is it 3 hours in total in 24 hours or 3 hours per feed?

Lostonthemoors Thu 24-Jan-13 07:52:46

The current thinking is that there is no need to think about hind and foremilk - it's all good milk and if baby is fed frequently and on demand baby will get enough of both.

You are mixed feeding and want to reduce feeds at night. You can of course replace more night feeds with ff if that's what you want to do, but having a strict amount of time on each side is not recommended as it can reduce supply and mean baby doesn't get enough milk. Bf babies vary their intake each time because of lots of different variables - thirst, temperature, degree of hunger, time of day, whether unwell or not, whether having a growth spurt or not, and a set amount of time on each breast will not allow for this adjustment.

I would recommend you get some RL support from one of the bf lines.

Why do you want to reduce night feeds at this stage?

Weissdorn Thu 24-Jan-13 07:46:19

leonardofquirm Thu 24-Jan-13 07:45:47

No I've never timed feeds or amount of time per though, forgot that bit! smile

Weissdorn Thu 24-Jan-13 07:45:13

leonardofquirm Thu 24-Jan-13 07:43:50

How old is he?

1978andallthat Thu 24-Jan-13 03:26:18

Given ds would stay on noon for three hours each side and given we are topping up after each feed anyway (no lectures please, it is what it is), I want to curtail night feeds a bit. Does anyone give a certain amount of one each boob and if so how much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now