Expressing for first time

(12 Posts)
KatieLily12 Thu 24-Jan-13 10:38:03

Ooo I'm eating porridge while I read this and I love flapjacks. I'm also drinking fennel tea.

It's been a rough ride. She wants things to gush but has suspected reflux. She has been refusing to feed and I'm at my wits end. I got 50ml for her this morning from one breast so I have some back up now. It's horrible

CitrusyOne Thu 24-Jan-13 09:25:59

If you've got low supply I was advised to eat oats. So over the last week I've had flapjack, oatcakes, hob nobs and oaty Brekkie cereal. It does seem to have made a difference. Keep at it, you're doing a fab job!

KatieLily12 Thu 24-Jan-13 00:35:10

Yes someone said keep some baby clothes nearby. Good idea thank you.

I'll need to give her morning feed then have a go a bit later. Hopefully she'll feed well enough that I can manage it. Poor thing

stargirl1701 Thu 24-Jan-13 00:14:19

Try looking at a photo of your LO while pumping. Or, having something that smells if her near you.

KatieLily12 Thu 24-Jan-13 00:11:39

Thanks citrusyone will try in morning

CitrusyOne Wed 23-Jan-13 22:01:41

I was told that about an hour after first morning feed is best time, but I have found if I wait a little bit longer I get more. DD is13 wks, and I reliably get about 2oz each time. I found that to start with it was really hit and miss, some days I'd get 3oz, others barely any. Also read about keeping routines the same when expressing- same seat, time, drink etc can all help. Apparently!

KatieLily12 Wed 23-Jan-13 20:59:51

Thanks all

It's tricky as hell. I'm expressing as we have had issues and I'm hoping it will boost my supply and give me a back up in case LO refuses again. We've had a tough day too which probably hasn't helped.

Not sure if I dare risk possible distraction as feeding is going pretty badly already. I'll try again in the morning after her feed. I daren't try before or she won't feed. She expects a dam to break...

Off to sob quietly...,

MadameJosephine Wed 23-Jan-13 20:29:55

I find that if I express while DD is feeding on the other boob I get loads more as she triggers the let down. It's a bit tricky to start with but with a cushion and DD tucked under one arm I've got the other arm free for the pump

fraktion Wed 23-Jan-13 20:27:35

Sorry rubbish autocorrect whilst feeding a wriggly 21 month old before bed!

fraktion Wed 23-Jan-13 20:26:52

It's a habit that you need to relax into IME. The first few tins I got very little but by the time DS was 5 months or so and is been back at work a whole I was getting a full bottle off each boob each session.

diddlediddledumpling Wed 23-Jan-13 20:20:02

Are you pumping or hand expressing?
The let-down reflex that releases the milk sometimes doesn't happen as easily when not feeding. I used to try imagining I was feeding, a bit like thinking about yawning makes you yawn!
Or could be pump not air tight. Or time not great, morning times were generally better for me.

KatieLily12 Wed 23-Jan-13 20:16:14

And there appears to be little to no milk?!?

Erm....? Is this normal the first few times?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now