oversupply at 9 weeks - stop me quitting!

(18 Posts)
issimma Tue 22-Jan-13 13:59:28

... is doing my head in. I have to get changed several times a day (or not leave the house) and wake up in a massive wet patch/sodden pjs every day. It's only from one boob, and this one is enorme, so I look wonky as well as wet.

Feeding is otherwise going ok, and I actually enjoy it, and don't want to quit. But it's uncomfy and I have a laundry mountain already thanks to toddler+baby.

Will this pass? And, more importantly, when?! And is the most rubbish reason ever to give up bf?

issimma Tue 22-Jan-13 15:32:08

My other issues are:
I should be using a steroid cream (dermovate), but can't while BF. Symptoms are flaring up and I need it. Actually, one dr said to use it, another said not to, so am confused. Dr google says 'no'. Would rather FF than put baby on steroids...

Burning pain (like a red hot needle) lancing through boob to end of nipple. And pain in armpit when I feed hmm.

I feel like I should keep going, and ideally I want to. LLL less than useless - they don't operate in my area, and phoneline said they couldn't advise, just inform that's what MN is for. I'll be v upset when I stop, despite DC1 being hale and hearty on FF, but also relieved.

what to do?

DrMcDreamysWife Tue 22-Jan-13 15:37:20

Not sure about oversupply issues but burning pain down to nipple sounds like thrush, I would ask your doctor to check if I were you.

Sorry cant help more but this will bump it!

leedy Tue 22-Jan-13 15:40:21

Ok, re the oversupply - it will pass! I had it with DS1 and it calmed down enormously at around 12 weeks. I also tried block feeding - feeding only on one side for blocks of X hours to try and stop sending so many "make more milk" signals to the boobs. I'm not sure how you'd adjust the blocks with only oversupply on one side, perhaps do longer blocks on the less gushy side?

Re the medication, this hideously hard to read but v helpful website says that Dermovate is risk level 0 (ie not harmful at all), just don't use it on the breast or if you do, clean it off before nursing: http://www.e-lactancia.org/ingles/inicio.asp

I think there's a BFN helpline you can call if you want further confirmation of this, but I've always found the e-lactancia recs tally with what my (v BF-friendly) GP says.

Burning pain and pain in armpit sounds like thrush, which is horrible but treatable with antifungals from your doctor.

leedy Tue 22-Jan-13 15:40:49

Sorry, didn't do the linky thing properly, thus adding to the unreadability:
www.e-lactancia.org/ingles/inicio.asp

I sympathise! I had weeks of over supply...it had me in tears.

I would definitely see GP about the pain though.

Savoy cabbage leaves (preferably kept in the fridge first) down my bra helped me loads!!
It cooled my norks down and made them more comfortable.

I had problems too. Lots of pain and gigantic boobs I ended up giving it until 12 weeks before I reviewed it and by that time everything had got do much better. DD is 13 weeks now and I get no pain, normal sized boobies and a happy baby. Def see GP about pain but it will get better!

issimma Tue 22-Jan-13 15:54:32

thanks so much! elvis, I had just decided to give it until 12 weeks grin. And to get there, I'll take it one day/feed at a time.
Will see GP about thrush too.

McBaby Tue 22-Jan-13 20:18:20

It does get better and there are also ways to manage over supply I.e block feeding which I found worked really well for me.

Also going along with over supply is forceful letdown which can cause baby to clamp to try abs reduce the flow and causes pain during and after the feed. I personally find the clamping pain very similar to thrush. Is the pain in the breast or both?

Butterycrumble Tue 22-Jan-13 20:58:46

If you leak lilypadz can help, they are silicone breast pads that form a seal so no leaking which helps regulate supply. Feeding less frequently from the bigger side will reduce supply too, engorgement is part of this too but hopefully not for too much longer...

The sharp pain could be thrush especially if it comes after feeds but if it is on latching then it is probably a blocked duct...kellymom has lots of self treatment options.

RuchedCurtain Tue 22-Jan-13 21:02:36

There's a fb page "breastfeeding and medication" where a pharmacist will answer specific medication queries. Fwiw, I've used steroid creams throughout pgs/bf with no problems.

Lostonthemoors Tue 22-Jan-13 21:33:03

I have also used the bf network drugs and breastmilk line which is amazing - the pharmacist who takes the calls is an expert in this area. Definitely call her.

Pain also sounds like thrush to me - definitely check it out with dr. The bfn do a thrush medication leaflet which you can print and take to dr. If it is thrush there is bf friendly treatment for you and the baby who would both need to be treated.

Really sorry to hear LLL weren't able to help when you called sad I am in our local group and our leader and the phone line have always been very good.

Lostonthemoors Tue 22-Jan-13 21:40:19

I would call the helpline again and speak to them about oversupply and whether block feeding might help - that can really make a difference.

Once these teething problems are resolved you might find bf

Lostonthemoors Tue 22-Jan-13 21:41:20

Posted too soon - sorry blush

You could honestly find bf gets much easier and actually enjoyable - I got to that stage after things had settled down and it was much better.

issimma Wed 23-Jan-13 19:26:48

Thanks all grin. I am armed with thrush cream and have ordered Little Lamb breast pads. I thought BF would be the cheaper option, but what with bras, nursing pads and lansinoh, not so much...
I actually enjoy feeding, just not the oversupply. The pain is random - sometimes when I'm feeding, sometimes between feeds.
Determined to make it to 12 weeks for now, and hope it will be many more :D

crikeybadger Wed 23-Jan-13 19:35:10

You'll need cream for you and something for your LO as well, otherwise you will keep passing the thrush back and forth.

I'd second talking things through with Wendy Jones at Breastfeeding Network about the steroid cream, she'll know about thrush treatments too.

Well done for sticking with it, things can only get better as they say. smile

issimma Wed 23-Jan-13 21:43:02

thanks badger - the cream is for him too.

Lostonthemoors Thu 24-Jan-13 12:11:39

Issimma - sounds like a great result. smile

I made it to 6 months ebf just one feed at a time. Sure you'll be on here advising other mums soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now