teething 4mo's latch has gone to pot...

(4 Posts)
MadMonkeys Tue 22-Jan-13 12:26:21

I've struggled with bf since dd2 was a couple of days old. I had sore nipples very quickly which became very badly cracked after about a week. Everyone checked her latch and declared it to be fine. I had mastitis twice but persevered... Dd2 is now 18wks. About 2 weeks ago the cracks had gradually healed and were no longer painful. Then i started to get sore again and today I noticed that the cracks are opening up again. Dd2 is teething, the first tooth is just cutting through now, and dd2 isn't latching on well - she won't open her mouth wide and turns her face downwards when feeding. She wants short feeds all the time, including 4 in the night when she was previously sleeping through. I know this is probably the 4 month sleep regression together with teething, just wondered if anyone had any advice? I was so chuffed that things seemed better a few weeks ago but now it feels like we are back to square one.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 22-Jan-13 22:39:45

Poor you but well done for preserving. Has dd been checked for tongue tie? Are you getting any RL help with the cracks and latch?

MadMonkeys Thu 24-Jan-13 08:33:35

Well it has been a tough few days wth not much sleep due to teething but dd2 is latching better again now so hopefully things are looking up. She seems to get on better on one side than the other, I guess its the position on one side that hurts her tooth more. I had a lot of input from hv early on, very sympathetic and supportive but they never really had an suggestions about why I was finding it so tough. Tt was ruled out by paediatrician but I know it can be missed. I don't think that is the problem. I do have v sensitive ski so I imagine any little prob with latch etc would have a big effect. But I thin we are back to the relatively good place we were before the teething began. X

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 24-Jan-13 23:51:25

That's good to hear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now