How many daytime bf for 6 mth ds, been weaning for 3 weeks

(12 Posts)
gwenniebee Wed 23-Jan-13 10:18:17

Making things with ebm if you can sounds a good idea. My hv also said dd can have lots of yoghurt/cheese and things to get the calories in. She loves those Little Yeo yoghurts with a passion! smile

cassell Tue 22-Jan-13 22:31:25

Not sure I can be much help as both my Dcs have continued with the same amount of bf (day and night) after starting weaning. Ds1 did mainly BLW and he hardly ate anything until he was 10mths, bf every 1.5-2hrs throughout the day/evening and 1/2 in the night. Ds2 is now 8.5mo, doing mixture of purée & finger food, he likes his food much more than ds1 and is eating 3 reasonable meals a day but still bfs every 2hrs or so during the day (and straight after every meal) and 2/3/4 times a night. <knackered> he has water with most meals too but still wants to bf afterwards. On 25centile for weight so not huge despite the constant feeding.

If I was you I would just keep offering bf regularly and if you're concerned about how much milk maybe make him things like porridge (I make it with ebm) to keep his milk intake up.

toomuchtooyoung Tue 22-Jan-13 22:15:34

Oh and no, I've not offered water yet, thought it might make him even less interested in milk.

toomuchtooyoung Tue 22-Jan-13 22:06:56

Doh.....happily took purees too

toomuchtooyoung Tue 22-Jan-13 22:06:14

Thanks all. Whatever ds does is baby led, he used to be a voracious breastfeeder it's just now that solids are an option he doesn't seem to want bf, and you can't exactly force them to take milk. Even when clearly hunger and I offer bf he will fuss and turn away, yet give him some food and he's a happy bunny.

Just not used to this. Dd was blw but was never particularly bothered by food. And now at 2.4 she's even worse, barely touches the stuff. She blows raspberries in the face of those who say blw makes for less picky eaters! Oh and she happily took

gwenniebee Tue 22-Jan-13 21:47:11

I think it's fairly clear the op is saying she is doing a mixture of finger foods and purées - whether or not it's textbook BLW isn't really the issue.

OP - can't help I'm afraid but saw your thread coz I'm in exactly the same position and wondering how on earth I know my dd is getting what she needs. She's never really been a hungry baby but she is loving her "proper" food. Bfing still settles her but she hasn't been "hungry" for it. She was dropping centiles anyway so I'm concerned she gets enough of the calorific stuff.

I guess we just ride it out and hope that in a few weeks time we'll know what's what?! It's all new still after just three weeks, isn't it?

Does he drink water with his food?

'BLW means no purée'

That's what I used to think. T'aint true though.

toomuchtooyoung Tue 22-Jan-13 21:38:12

Anyone?

toomuchtooyoung Tue 22-Jan-13 01:42:12

Well so far he's happily chomped on red pepper, roasted carrots and parsnips, blw recipe muffins and devoured whatever has been presented to him on spoon so I guess he hasn't read the book! He's just a hungry bugger!!

JumpHerWho Tue 22-Jan-13 01:23:18

BLW means no purée, you can't mix and match - if you're doing finger foods and purée it's just traditional weaning!

As a hardcore BLWer I'd say go with your baby - if he's eating lots of solids then that's obviously what he needs. Have you read the book? Maybe cut down purée with the aim of cutting it out altogether - proper BlW is just chucking them some of what you eat, and continuing to bf on demand. I ff DS but it worked perfectly, even when I panicked that he wasn't eating enough / wasn't taking enough milk / he was happy throughout, thriving and I had to just relax and trust that he was taking what he needed.

I've never done purée feeding but it seems to complicate things tbh.

toomuchtooyoung Tue 22-Jan-13 01:17:26

Since starting to introduce weaning ds has been overly keen on solids and I'm finding it hard to get milk into him. I offer milk first but he just seems to prefer food - combination of purées and blw.

Dd was on bottles by this stage so can't remember, but ds is a bottle refuser :-(

The only time I could guarantee he was having some formula was his dreamfeed but tonight he refused that.

Worried he's not getting enough milk and has too much food. Everythings all over the shop and don't quite know whether I'm coming or going!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now