Is this a growth spurt or sleep regression?

(7 Posts)
Ariel24 Mon 21-Jan-13 17:43:57

DD is 15 weeks now, and is ebf. She has always been pretty good at night, settling back to sleep easily after feeds. In the earlier weeks she probably woke twice a night to be fed, but started sleeping through most nights at around 11 weeks.
I've noticed lately that in the day, she has been going a bit longer in between feeds, maybe 3 hours, and usually only feeds from one breast each time whereas she used to feed from both more often than not before. But the past few nights she has been waking around 3 times a night to be fed. She settles back to sleep well after being fed. Is it possible this is her 3 month growth spurt? I'm really not sure as when she had her 2 week and 6 week growth spurts she was feeding lots and lots in the day too, this hasn't been like that so much. Or is it the 4 month sleep regression a bit early?

CharlandOscar Mon 21-Jan-13 21:44:55

My 10 wk old (14Ib)Ds seems to be doing something simular. Eats more at night recently and less in the day.
He went 5 hours before feeding this morning- fed him at 7.30,am then tried at 12-he just fell asleep! Then fed him at 1.20pm. Then at 4 then at 7. He feeds every 3 hours at night.
I was wondering if its because the early morning milk is 'better'?

Ariel24 Mon 21-Jan-13 23:10:14

They are funny little things aren't they. I've no idea but she seems happy and bright so won't worry.

And if it is a growth spurt it's not anywhere near as bad as the 6 week one which left me an emotional wreck!

Gintonic Mon 21-Jan-13 23:22:11

Someone told me the 4 month spurt involves lots of brain development, which happens at night - hence the need to feed lots in the night. So growth spurt and sleep regression could be the same thing!

Ariel24 Mon 21-Jan-13 23:32:22

Ah thanks Gintonic, that makes sense if that's the case.

Ariel24 Mon 21-Jan-13 23:49:02

Ah thanks Gintonic, that makes sense if that's the case.

Snugabugz Wed 23-Jan-13 19:03:08

I had a similar experience and put it down to DS being nosy and distracted by what was going on around him. He used to feed quite happily in noisy play centres etc but I had to make an effort to go somewhere quiet to feed once he hit four months,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now