EBF 4 week old throwing up HUGE amounts

(20 Posts)
MyNameIsSuz Sat 19-Jan-13 22:11:57

Ghoulelocks - this is exactly how mine was before he was on the Gaviscon, he didn't seem too uncomfy, but he was throwing up whole feeds so was hungry a lot and a bit upset at being soggy all the time. We're EBF too and it's not that much of a hassle, you just mix the powder into 15ml water, I make up six doses in the morning in those little weaning pots and then he has one in a bottle in the middle of his feed (after boob 1).

Good luck, I hope it's something relatively simple to treat!

He was still producing wet/dirty nappies so can't have been complete obstruction. No other signs. Was fobbed off by HV ("babies do vomit, you know").

Eventually he vomited blood from an oesophageal tear, so was admitted. Even then, they dismissed the idea of pyloric stenosis (even though I'd had it so family history). Eventually they did a post-feed ultrasound (I kindly aimed the vomit fountain baby away from the radiographer) which showed pyloric stenosis.

He is now a very healthy 12 year old. smile

narmada Sat 19-Jan-13 21:14:55

Oh dear sad didn't want to make you sob.

Do you like nuts? Alpro hazelnut milk is lovely.... ok, mostly sugar and water but you gotta have some fun.

85% choc is a lifesaver I found.

Thornintherose Sat 19-Jan-13 21:06:51

DS was projectile vomitting at around 4-5 weeks but seemed to be having wet nappies and pooing but still turned out to have Pyloric Stenosis. Was very happy in himself and would smile right after having been sick. I'd take her to doctors for sure on Monday and get her checked out, could just be reflux and you'll get some Gaviscon. Is it Projectile? How much sick? DS would be sick after every other feed to begin with and it was a massive amount, yet as I said still had wet nappies and small amounts of poos - I think I caught it early as he hadn'y lost much weight either, just stayed the same for a week.

Savannahgirl Sat 19-Jan-13 20:53:35

Oh good - at least you can rule that possibility out.
I wish you all the best and hope you get some resolution to it. smile

ghoulelocks Sat 19-Jan-13 20:48:45

narmada- I feel like sobbing at the idea of no dairy. believe me I know all about hidden dairy after ds! last time gp gave soya as alternative, not good!

ghoulelocks Sat 19-Jan-13 20:46:31

savanna- luckily she's a had a few registrars listen to her heart, she was in for jaundice and they were worried about complications due to blood groups and group b strep and checked her a few times.

threebee- were there other signs? what were nappies like?

narmada Sat 19-Jan-13 20:45:55

Ok milk allergy sounding like a def possibility.

Can be overcome if so by you cutting out all dairy including hidden dairy like whey powder. Usually also wise to remove soya.

But like savannahgirl I deffo think get it checked. Warning - most GPs have not tge first clue about milk allergy and will tell you that its not possible in BF babies, or will send you away with lactase enzyme which is no use as it is for lactose intolerance, not CMPI wink

Savannahgirl Sat 19-Jan-13 20:38:55

I don't want to scare you unnecessarily and it's VERY unlikely that it is what I'm about to suggest but it's worth considering all the possibilities:
My DS had poor weight gain up to 3 weeks and was constantly sick in the way you describe - it turned out that he had an undiagnosed heart condition. He had lots of other tell tale signs too when we look back on it now, such as slightly blue feet and sounding slightly breathless ,but when it's your first baby you don't really know what to expect. He is fine now by the way smile
I'm sure that's not what is causing your DD's vomiting but I couldn't just read your OP and not post. I would definitely see your GP and ask for a thorough check up though if you are worried about her.

Definitely get this checked out. DS1 did this at about three weeks and it was pyloric stenosis. He had to have surgery at Great Ormond Street but was fine after the operation.

ghoulelocks Sat 19-Jan-13 20:35:44

Yep, DS had a pretty serious milk allergy, it's why DD is breastfed.

ghoulelocks Sat 19-Jan-13 20:34:23

Cheers, I'll book her an appt. She's not unsettled, apart from wanting more food after emptying her belly. Sleeps well after half hour period during which vomiting happens, likes eating.

Very stuffed up nose though, and snores. Unusually snuffily, though I've fished out curdled milk rather than snot!

narmada Sat 19-Jan-13 20:33:03

Did your DS have a milk allergy? That is also a posdible cause. Milk proteins can get passed through breastmilk.

If you have forceful letdown you may also have oversupply. This can cause vomiting. Kellymom has good info on that.

narmada Sat 19-Jan-13 20:30:13

Yes wide range. Seriously unsettled behaviour in excess of normal colic, vomiting (but not always), ENT problems, sleep disturbance, Poor weight gain, feed refusal/ aversion. Not all present in every case obviously.

BUT it may be someyhing else so best to let doc assess. If no joy there I would see a lactation consultant.

ghoulelocks Sat 19-Jan-13 20:27:56

Suz- I'm quite confident in latch, looks good, not sore and she is happy feeding, no pulling off etc. Bit of a forceful let down though. DS had gaviscon, but had formula. Surely it's a nightmare if EBF?

Narmada, had that in mind but so far still wet nappies/ poo and no weight loss so guessing would be dismissed. Will definitely keep an eye on hydration/nappies etc and take her before 6 week check if I'm worried. Unfortunately they've all given me good experience in checking for dehydration in newborns between milk allergies, bugs and jaundice!

ghoulelocks Sat 19-Jan-13 20:22:26

DS had reflux, was very unsettled and acidic spit up. Being upright helped hugely.Hers is quite forceful and vomits in all positions, not unsettled or crying when sick. Is there a range of ways it shows?

narmada Sat 19-Jan-13 20:21:54

Go to your GP. Although rarer in girls, forceful - eg projectile - vomiting that is getting worse can be a sing of pyloric stenosis.

She could be a happy spitter.... if weight gain turns into an issue deffo worth trying reflux surpressants lije gaviscon or carobel.

MyNameIsSuz Sat 19-Jan-13 20:18:03

We had this problem, rivers of sick and poor weight gain, i mentioned it at his six week check and they gave us infant gaviscon, it worked wonders! It could also be the latch, have you been checked?

stargirl1701 Sat 19-Jan-13 20:10:16

Have you thought about reflux? Maybe video a feed on your phone and show your GP.

ghoulelocks Sat 19-Jan-13 20:07:10

DS was a sicky baby but DD is taking it to new levels, she's 4 weeks old (-1 weeks corrected age) and just throws up more and more. There's the usual spit-up constantly but also a few good vomits after every feed, more forceful and squirts out and a larger volume. This can even be an oz or two, not a teaspoon but nearer a full feed. She's vomited loads just in the last hour, one vomit filled both cups of my bra (niceeee), puddled on the sofa and left a 6 inch patch on my jeans. She's not usually windy or unsettled. It's getting harder and harder to settle her, she throws up in any position and wakes herself and she's wet throughand needs a change. Bibs don't cut it.

Any ideas? I've tried all the positional stuff, eg slanted mattress, burping, belly massage etc but no change. She's not fussy and doesn't seem to be in pain vomiting. Seems to be increasing, but don't know if she simply eats more. Weight gain has been slow, apart from last week when she suddenly put on a pound in 6 days. Funny scales though, wouldn't work for 20 min, old hanging scale and seemed to require shaking to work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now