How quickly would I lose supply? Noro virus

(12 Posts)
Softlysoftly Thu 17-Jan-13 11:28:10

I have norovirus started last night I got it from DD1.

DD2 is 7 months. Has 1 bottle at 7pm, 3 good meals plus she feeds first thing in the morning, 2 times in day and 1-2 times at night.

DH has taken her out today as I am not able.

She fed twice last night but her morning feed she didn't take, she tried but it was like there was nothing there!

She's going to miss both day feeds and I don't think I can pump without, erm, interruption blush.

So am I going to lose those feeds? I'm worried as she might get it next and needs her fluids. Also she will be having bottle/cup instead so might reject me?

Help!

megandraper Thu 17-Jan-13 11:38:49

Poor you, the dreaded noro is so horrible.

Can DH bring her to you for feeds? Even if she doesn't seem to get much, the fact that she's trying will keep your supply up.

DH could give her a beaker of (boiled and cooled) water for drinks in between.

The worst is usually over quite quickly with norovirus. I don't think 2-3 days will cause you to lose your supply at 7 months. I don't think she'll reject you because of it either. Just muddle your way through, and let normal service resume as soon as you're able.

sanam2010 Thu 17-Jan-13 12:09:03

I had norovirus when i was bf dd1 and it was fine, supply went down for a day or two and then quickly back to normal. As the other poster said, the worst of norovirus tends to be over in 24 hours. Just drink a lot of fluids. You won't lose supply, maybe you just need to top up a bit for a day or two to settle your baby.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 17-Jan-13 12:37:17

Topping up won't help to boost your supply though. Your supply may dip but the best way of getting your supply back up is to feed your baby smile

sanam2010 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:47:01

I am just saying for the day or two where supply is low due to dehydration from the virus, the baby will still need enough milk to sleep and be happy so OP can get rest. She can just feed more after feeling better to get supply back up.

nickelbabe Thu 17-Jan-13 13:49:36

just keep feeding as much as you can.

make sure you are hydrated - you can get rehydration sachets (i think andrew's rescue remedy is one)
and drink as much as possible.

the main reason to keep feeding as much as you can is so that your body knows it's still required even though you aren't providing much.
and therefore will keep making it.

Softlysoftly Thu 17-Jan-13 15:26:50

Thankyou all DH has had to bring her back as she won't drink. I've tried but she won't take from me either. Looks like she's coming down for with it too. sad

Will persevere and keep an eye on her.

nickelbabe Thu 17-Jan-13 15:30:37

keep trying.

it might even be worth huddling her up in bed with you today and tomorrow.

get DH to bring you food and drink and keep her close, so that when she does need milk, she'll be there ready to take it from you.

when DD was sick a few weeks ago (she was 12 months then), she was very cuddly and very clingy for several days, and didn't eat any solids - it was all from me.

nickelbabe Thu 17-Jan-13 15:31:39

and make sure you both have your phones on you so that you can call him back anytime to change nappies (oh yes, that will be a lot!) (yes, even if he is only downstairs)

treat it like another newborn period - hole yourself up in your room with everything you need.

pebbles1234 Thu 17-Jan-13 15:44:28

I had the same thing when my ds was 7 months, but supply returned to normal after a couple of days and i fed til he was 2.5. Also I got an injection from out of hours Gp to help stop vomiting which gave me a break and helped minimise dehydration.

Hope you get well soon xx

RedKites Thu 17-Jan-13 15:58:30

The other reason to keep feeding her, is that even if she is only getting a little milk, she will be getting antibodies from you so hopefully won't catch it, or at least will get over it sooner.

Softlysoftly Thu 17-Jan-13 16:26:23

Well she's fed and asleep in with me. As always Thankyou mumsnetters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now