Three-month-old "snacking" on breastmilk

(6 Posts)
Stixswhichtwizzle Thu 17-Jan-13 20:09:13

Oh and to answer your q you can't make him take more. My DD would cry if I didn't feed her when she wanted it and would refuse to relatch if she didn't! Just go with it, I promise it won't last forever smile

Stixswhichtwizzle Thu 17-Jan-13 20:07:05

Yep my DD did this at about 3 months too. I put it down to growth spurt but it passed quite quickly reappeared at 4 months for a few days too though

yes. Normal. Grrrrrrrrrrr on your behalf. smile

thesnowmanrocks Thu 17-Jan-13 10:44:46

Exactly the same here. Its new for me as didn't manage with ds. Dd is ok when we are out can go 4hrs but then seems to make up for it at home.
I know people might have strong oppinions on this but I found co-sleeping really helped for sleep deprivation, still very tired but not like when I was trying to stay awake to feed. And sometimes it feels like they are constantly clamped to you! Mn and my e-reader help pass the time!

ZuleikaD Thu 17-Jan-13 09:10:16

Yes, it's normal, I'm afraid! This too shall pass...

MsElisaDay Thu 17-Jan-13 08:21:07

After a very tricky start, where my DS struggled to gain weight and I exclusively expressed for around six weeks, he's finally breastfeeding. This is brilliant, but he seems to want to snack all the time rather than have a proper feed.

He's 11 weeks now and, while taking ebm from the bottle, he'd have 4-5 ounces every 3 hrs or so. But now he's feeding "properly" he'd rather snack, it seems.
Last night he had bigger feeds at 7.30pm and 11pm, but since 2.30am this morning. he's been feeding for 5 mins, then having a half-hour kickabout and light snooze, before feeding for another 5 mins.

If we're at home during the day he'll do the same thing, he'll only go longer when we're out.
When he pulls off the breast he appears full and clamps his mouth shut, refusing offers of the other breast, before deciding he's hungry again half an hour later.

Is this normal? And is there much I can do to get him to take more food at once? The sleep deprivation isn't fun at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now