Please help - terrible nipple pain/sensitivity in the evenings

(3 Posts)
Greypuddle Wed 16-Jan-13 20:37:45

I have a 4 week old and breastfeeding was going fine until the last week or so when I've developed cracked (but not bleeding) nipples that are hypersensitive. My ds seems to be latching on ok (I think) because feeding itself causes no pain and he's filling nappies and thriving.

The problem is in the evenings. After feeding, my ds wants to continue lazily using my nipple as a dummy and to suck on it for ages but I have to delatch him because it feels as though his tongue is gently prodding right on the tip of my cracked nipples, stopping them from healing and driving me a bit mad! It's not an 'ouch' kind of pain, more a nervy, tender sort of ache. He cries when I delatch and starts chewing his fist and getting really upset.

I feel recovered in the mornings but it happens again every night and my dp has to take the baby in the sling for ages so that I don't have to have him on my breast (my son, that is, not my dp...) because of the pain. So now I worry that he doesn't get enough milk in the evening, which is making him bad-tempered and he'd be soothed by being on the nipple but it's too uncomfortable, and the whole thing goes round in circles.

Does anyone have any idea why his tongue would be dabbing so excruciatingly at the tip when he doesn't seem to be doing that when he's drinking milk?

Sorry this post is so long. I hope it makes sense to someone. Thank you.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 16-Jan-13 22:23:47

Cluster feeding can be tough. If its causing you pain, you need some RL help. Is there a bfing clinic nearby where you can get you latch checked and some advice on your cracked nipples? Has Lo also been checked for tongue tie?

Greypuddle Thu 17-Jan-13 12:25:51

Thanks, JJJ. I've rung local nhs support today so hope to get some answers. He hasn't been checked for tongue tie yet so that's the first thing I'll do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now