7 month old always bfs to sleep - anyone else?

(31 Posts)
13Iggis Mon 14-Jan-13 21:56:08

..well except in the daytime, when he happily naps without a feed, DS2 almost always needs a feed to send him over to sleep. In fact he is very unkeen on bfeeding during the day (is on 3 meals though) and makes up for it with about 5 feeds during the night! I have just been going with it but am getting fed up with the advice to let him cry etc. If not fed, he gets increasingly upset and simply does not "cry down" to sleep (which my DS1 would have done).
I figure it is important to be able to put him down to sleep still awake, but he always conks out on the breast after his bath. For about 30 mins. hmm
He sleep in a bedside cot next to me so it is not that hard to feed him in the night (though uncomfortable) but I am feeling increasingly like I've failed by feeding him to sleep for so long, when he obviously doesn't need the milk.
Don't know which is worse, the sleep deprivation of the feeling of being judged!

13Iggis Wed 16-Jan-13 13:52:10

LO will take a bottle of expressed milk from dh, or even water, but then looks round for the real stuff. If I offer a bottle it is batted away (at night - he's happy to drink it in the day). I do think it is the method of drinking that he's looking for more than the actual milk.
So 'just for comfort' perhaps, which people always say as if it's a very bad thing.

amazingmumof6 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:35:12

"So 'just for comfort' perhaps, which people always say as if it's a very bad thing! " exactly, what's wrong with comfort?

ok, let's see about some things that we use for comfort (and other reasons of course) : houses, cars, electricity, heating, chocolate, slippers, dressing gowns, fridges, beds, washing machines, dishwashers, umbrellas, pushchairs, baths &showers, calculators, pcs & mobiles and most gadgets, clothes, shoes, hairdryer, sippy cups......

basically most things.

I rest my case

grin

Startail Wed 16-Jan-13 15:04:06

For my outwardly super confident DD2, just for comfort was the most important thing.

The flip side of being bright and socially very astute is knowing that the world isn't always nice and the story doesn't always have a happy ending.

NeedlesCuties Wed 16-Jan-13 17:39:42

>hugs OP<

I've been really worn down by few things recently related to being a SAHM to a 3 yr old and 5 month old, and this thread has cheered me!

DD (the baby) will not sleep for anyone else and loves to sleep while feeding, or with my nipple near her mouth. I can't recall DS doing that when he was a baby, so I'd been dementing myself thinking there was something wrong.

Glad to know we aren't the only ones, and that it'll pass!

amazingmumof6 Wed 16-Jan-13 18:02:16

needles - a big hug from me going your way!smile

13Iggis Thu 17-Jan-13 21:44:37

Oooh, loving the hugs and warmth on this thread!
It's right of course, we all do things for comfort, so why not babies too? Trying to do a bit more cuddling to sleep (as it seems to work a bit more now for some reason) but if he starts rooting I'm just feeding him, guilt-free thanks to all of you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now