stage 2?

(8 Posts)

hungry milk does NOT contain a thickener to stretch the stomach, what rubbish! It is more casein based than whey based (both are milk proteins) and casein is harder to digest and in theory is supposed to make them go longer between feeds. It does not contain more calories so if they go longer between feeds they may actually take in fewer calories in total.

I wouldn't give a baby that small any more than 6oz at once.

Your baby is sleeping fine - his wake-ups are normal (actually very good compared to some!). He may be going through a growth spurt.

tiktok Fri 11-Jan-13 12:14:22

No thickener in hungry baby milk - it's casein-dominant, which is the tougher part of the protein in cows milk. Whey dominant is infant formula, and whey is the less tough part of the protein.

It's not added to the formula - just that hungry baby milk goes through less processing.

Are you thinking of comfort milk, which has potato starch in it?

Hungry baby milk contains a thickener which stretches the stomach causing the more food cycle. Four hourly is VERY good. My 11 month old doesn't do that now.

Have a look for wonderweeks. It could be that mixed with a growth spurt.

tiktok Fri 11-Jan-13 12:05:09

mummybee there is no evidence whatsover that so-called stage 2 helps with sleeping - and your baby is so young, this is normal waking (actually less often than the average). Stage 2 formula is different, a bit, from regular infant formula because the protein content is less 'modified' so it takes longer for the baby's digestive system to metabolise it. It's not nutritionally superior or more calorie dense.

Chat with your HV about the options? Or call the manufacturers' helpline?

ZuleikaD Fri 11-Jan-13 11:31:45

Waking up several times a night is normal for this age and it sounds as though 6oz is all he can manage. If he's going 4 hours between feeds at night then you're doing very well, so I'd stick to what you've been doing.

Sounds fairly normal for his age. Could be a growth spurt. Would he take more often than 4 hourly in the day?

mummybee23 Fri 11-Jan-13 07:05:16

Need advice. Hungry formula , yes or no?
LO is 7weeks. He slept 7+ hrs from 2weeks. Since going on to 6oz feeds. He sleeps every 4 even during the night. Is hungry formula milk a good option. What else can I try? He won't take anymore then 6oz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now