bfing a newborn: the hunger!

(16 Posts)

DS 2 is 2 weeks old and I have spent every waking minute ravenous grin however Christmas is over and I have a lot of weight to lose, I can't keep eating like this! What do you all eat? I was advised to get in high-protein snacks and have got nuts and hardboiled eggs and cheese sticks (robbing my toddler) but all I can think about from noon to night is sweets and chocolate!

am drinking points of water and getting a healthy diet at meals - plenty of veg, fruit, and meat - but I swear I am eating for ten and so is DS at least and I MUST not gain weight!
help me, give me ideas so I don't eat flapjack all day! grin

larlemucker Fri 11-Jan-13 06:04:00

Try filling up on carbohydrates, make sure they are brown as they'll keep you fuller for longer

AndMiffyWentToSleep Fri 11-Jan-13 21:03:22

I was the same - normally I love salad etc but I just needed more xalorie-dense foods! I couldn't deny myself - but still lost weight.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 11-Jan-13 23:46:51

When dd was that age I had a whole drawer in the kitchen full of crap. Used to buy 12 tunnicks tea cakes and eat the lot in one go. It did tail off and I did loose weight smile

ThreeWheelsGood Sun 13-Jan-13 06:38:51

just eat! you have plenty of time after this initial phase to think about healthy weight loss, I think it's important to treat yourself in the early days, to stay sane. maybe that's just me?!

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sun 13-Jan-13 07:29:12

I found the best thing to do was eat, I couldn't not. The weight still dropped off, of course the problem is then when you have stopped bf

fluffacloud Sun 13-Jan-13 07:48:33

I'm the same OP and DD2 is 8 months old! I found that I craved carbs and sugar or ideally a combination of both, especially in the evenings.

I eat fairly normally now but I treat myself to chocolate, cake or (a whole) maltloaf when I've managed to fed, bathe and get both DD1 (3) and DD2 into bed. That way I enjoy it rather than stuffing my face all day with crap and not really tasting it.

I have by some miracle got back to my pre-pregnancy weight - I suspect that this is due to BF every 3-4 hours day and bloody night as I haven't made any effort to diet or do any additional excersize, other than chase a toddler and a baby all day grin

You need this food! Assuming you didn't have an ELCS, that's a lot of calories used right there.
Try to eat healthily, and have a glass of water before you eat, but please do eat. This is way way too early to think about losing weight.

Ooh I want a whole maltloaf now! With lashings of butter mmmn. They don't do it over here -stupid America...

Thank you all, I am reassured. I am drinking pints of water so will stay hydrated and wait till it calms down. I know some of the sugar craving is sleep deprivation (and this bloody cold) - I am definitely NOT starving myself, but have to find a way to keep a lid on the fact that I could eat a whole box of biscuits all by myself in ten minutes and still feel a bit peckish - I'm sure it will calm down soon enough.

And yes - normal vaginal delivery and I ate like a horse for three days after - I remember that being the same when DS1 was born - the hospital people were asking what I wanted from a list of breakfast options and I chose ... all of them! Porridge and pancakes and scrambled eggs and a yoghurt and a fruit cup and an apple and a banana and some tea and some toast and a sausage and and and - the woman on the phone just laughed, she must be used to that from women who've given birth at midnight! grin
It's calmed down a BIT since then (only pancakes and bacon and a glass of milk and a banana so far today. Mind you, it's only 9am) but ds is 10lbs+ and feeding ALL THE SODDING TIME so I suppose we both need quite a lot of food at the moment!

Artemis206 Sun 13-Jan-13 14:24:14

I'm the same. DD is 6 days old, constantly feeding and I'm permanently ravenous! I had a huge meal at my mums yesterday and still had toast when I got home.

I could just rest a whole malt loaf now.

Artemis206 Sun 13-Jan-13 14:24:47

Rest = eat. Autocorrect fail.

Artemis both rest and eating sound like a good idea at the moment!grin

Artemis206 Mon 14-Jan-13 13:07:39

True smile

G1nger Mon 14-Jan-13 13:53:08

You absolutely can carry on eating like this. I did! I lost the weight later. I too was ravenous for the first 3 months and then it calmed down. Diet later - eat now.

IShallCallYouSquishy Mon 14-Jan-13 19:22:29

I'm sat BF my 7.5 month all and all I can think about now is Tunnocks tea cakes. I want to go over to tesco this minute and buy some. They are amazing. I could very happily eat a whole box.

I found it took until DD was about 3 months old and her feeding more spaced out that my cravings for sweet stuff subsided. Sadly not enough for me not to have 2st to lose. I'm packing in the fruit now to try and lose the weight.

tunnock's caramel wafers too! amazing with a cuppa smile
dmum is visiting from England to adore her new grandson and brought me chocolate and jaffacakes from home. I wish I had thought to ask for malt.loaf and tunnocks goodies too, now!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now