Is sleep more important than breastmilk at 18 months?

(5 Posts)
hefner Thu 10-Jan-13 17:15:24

I'm wondering what to do about my DD's morning BF. I currently feed her morning and night and I wanted to carry on with this until she is at least 2. I've just started a new job which means leaving the house earlier so I have to wake her up earlier to feed her. At the weekends we leave her to wake up naturally and she generally sleeps for around 12 hours. I work 4 days a week and have to wake her up after 10.5 - 11 hours sleep to feed her. If I dropped the feed she could have an extra 30 mins sleep. I would like to continue the feed and she still seems to want it but I feel guilty about waking her up early as she looks so sleepy! She's fine once she's woken up properly but I love my sleep so I hate feeling that I'm getting her up too early. I'd find it useful to hear other people's views, what would you do - keep going with the feed, or drop it so that she can have a bit more sleep?

5madthings Thu 10-Jan-13 17:18:48

I would carry on as you are if she usnt unhappy at being woken. She would let you know if she didnt like it, mine have always been very clear if they didnt want a feed or to wake up.

If she wakes up and you are not there and she doesnt get the feed will she be upset?

hefner Thu 10-Jan-13 19:29:58

Thanks, that's what I'm leaning towards. She doesn't seem to mind being woken.

I think she would cope ok if I wasn't there when she woke, she's pretty easygoing and would probably accept a cup of milk from dh instead.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 11-Jan-13 23:50:27

It's only 30 mins and if you are happy to do it and so is she, it's fine smile

amck5700 Fri 11-Jan-13 23:55:47

Personally I'd leave her to sleep. It sounds like the breastfeeding is more for you than her. Sleep is important for growth and development - she will be getting enough nutrients from her diet so the breastmilk is less important. She has the rest of her life to be woken up, first for school and then work, let her sleep her full quota while she can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now