im so tired!!

(12 Posts)
Lora1982 Thu 10-Jan-13 01:52:52

Ok soits my first night home and i am WRECKED baby was born on the 7th he jasnt really fed a lot but MW said not to worry as he was using his reserves. Ive had about four hrs sleep since he arrived cos hospital was so noisy. All i can do to quiet him is but him to the boob an he'll go sleep but im scared il fall sleep too and squish him. I realise now is the time im establishing milk so i have to keep going but im so worried of falling sleep and him falling off the bed etc. He doesnt seem to be settling if i put him in the basket after hes fallen asleep on me. Im so lost as to what the fuk to do :-D i blame showing off that he hardly cried the first two days.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 10-Jan-13 01:57:42

Day three is murder. You've been using your reserves as well, don't forget, and you sound utterly exhausted.

With co-sleeping, as long as you sleep on the outside of the bed and he's next to you on the inside, and you lie on your side with your arm kind of crooked up over his head, you can't roll over onto him. Side-lying nursing and co-sleeping were the only way I survived the first couple of months, I think it's really worth mastering it. I'll see if I can find a diagram of what I mean.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 10-Jan-13 01:59:05

<<http://naturalparentsnetwork.com/side-lying-nursing-a-breastfeeding-tutorial/ Here we go>>

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 10-Jan-13 01:59:35

Bollocks, I've been away from here so long I can't remember how to do links.

Here!

Lora1982 Thu 10-Jan-13 02:09:46

Thanks x i should have said though, my partner smokes so co-sleeping near him would be a no-no anyway wouldnt it?

1978andallthat Thu 10-Jan-13 02:15:48

Poor you. And also congratulations. This sounds like me with dc1. I fell
asleep feeding her all the time. This time with dc2 I am working on assumption that planned co sleeping better and safer than unplanned. Bit I don't know the answer re your partner smoking. Is there a spare bed he could go to for a few nights?

1978andallthat Thu 10-Jan-13 02:16:45

Ps bottle of formula to fill her up and get you some sleep? Doesn't mean you have to always give it. I mix fed from v early stage and still gave dd breast milk until 18 months.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 10-Jan-13 02:19:01

Oh, damn, you're right Lora. Is there another bed he can sleep in for a while, to give you a rest?

A very tiny baby is always going to want to sleep on or next to a parent, though, whether with formula or breastmilk. The problem isn't that the baby is waking frequently, it's that the baby isn't settling except on a parent. Which is totally normal, but not fixable with formula.

larlemucker Thu 10-Jan-13 04:26:09

Not many tips I can give you but I feel your pain, My LO turned 2 weeks 30 mins ago! He still prefers to sleep on me. We just tried putting him in the basket every time he fell asleep and warmed it with a wheat bag first.
He is getting better but we still have many transfer fails.
Can your partner take him for a couple of hours after a feed to let you sleep?

1978andallthat Thu 10-Jan-13 08:30:17

Ds, 10 days, getting better at the transfer but still needs to sleep on me or next to me for 20 mins first to get into a deep sleep.

Lora1982 Thu 10-Jan-13 09:59:09

So it will happen?! Thank god. I managed a couple of hours with him sleeping on my chest without squishing him, on the sofa but hes back to yawpee now so i'l feed again. All this false hope he gave me in hospital :-D

1978andallthat Thu 10-Jan-13 13:51:53

I think guidelines say if co sleeping much much better to do safely on a bed than on a sofa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now