Feeding every 1 1/2 hrs in the night - aaaah

(7 Posts)
LedaOfSparta Fri 11-Jan-13 08:04:05

Well, we've tried a bottle of hungry baby formula at the 7 pm feed which made not a bar of difference!

I think it's a mixture of comfort and sleep regression so we'll just have to push through and give it a couple of weeks to see if she manages to work through it.

Sigh. I'm knackered though and we seem to have a million and 1 after school clubs and weekend clubs and all I want to do is sit indoors and eat biscuits.smile

NeedlesCuties Thu 10-Jan-13 07:48:49

Yep, is happening here too sad

We got a cot as we thought she was hitting her hands on her crib bars and wakening herself...

Last night she slept in the cot for all of 20 minutes (from about 4:45am-5:05am) then was back in with me.

I'm sure my son (now 3 years old) must have done this, but I really can't remember!

Loislane78 Thu 10-Jan-13 05:49:13

I've been posting on another thread but sounds not too dissimilar to my DD. Slept like an angel until ~16 wks then major sleep regression hit which is quite common so Xmas may well have triggered it but Google 4 month sleep regression and you'll see. Doubt formula will make any difference tbh.

We're at 21 wks now and I've been doing some mild sleep training (if you can call it that) as last few weeks have been v tough.

Feel your pain sad

ILikeyLikey Wed 09-Jan-13 21:40:19

Opps sorry, meant to start my own thread!! Doh

ILikeyLikey Wed 09-Jan-13 21:39:11

DD2 is 14months and still BF. I really need some advice on a couple of issues relating to feeding. I planned to stop bf at 12 months but have continued as she didn't seem ready to stop, we co-sleep and in the last few weeks has been feeding during the night.

As an example, last night I feed her at about 12.30am, 3ish, 4.30am and the 7. Previously, she would probably go from maybe midnight to about 6am without feeding. I'm finding it pretty exhausting as I have DD1 who is at school, so we have to be up and out in the morning. I'm not sure if she's nursing as it soothes her back to sleep or she is actually hungry.

I'm also finding that she doesn't really eat very much during the day and I put this down to the fact she is nursing so frequently at night. I had lunch recently with a friend with a DC a couple of months older and she ate so much more than DD2, so I do think I'm in a bit of a catch 22 situation. I've tried to give her water at night, but she wants to nurse, I have to add she does go back to sleep straight away when she feeds at night but I know from a nutritional point of view she shouldn't really be feeding like a newborn at night at 14 months.

Can anyone offer any advice about the night feeding and possibly moving towards finishing breastfeeding over the next couple of months.

TIA.

Xmasfun Wed 09-Jan-13 10:43:47

Hello Leda I'm having the same problem with my 22 week old , it's nrly impossible now to get her in her own bed sad we are exhausted although I but a fleece blanket on top of her sheet and she did sleep a little longer in there from 8-10 so that was better think its warmer then a cold sheet. But I too am up all night feeding . I don't think formula will help tbh as my LO has had formula when I was out just before bedtime and still woke just the same. I also have trouble getting her to sleep in her cot day time :-/ . Hope we get more ideas soon smile

LedaOfSparta Wed 09-Jan-13 09:44:08

Ok, DD is now 17 weeks, EBF and on about the 75th centile.

Our 'routine' such as it is went completely out the window over Xmas as DH was off work, DSs were at home and we did a lot of visiting. Now everyone is back at school we are back to 7am feed and get up for day, 9.15 feed and 9.45ish sleep for about half an hour. Feed about 2 hrly and sleep again for 2 hrs between 12-2pm. She usually has another doze between 5- 5.30 and I take her upstairs to bed and a quiet feed at 7pm.

Although I attempt to put her in her cot which is attatched to our bed, she wakes about 10 mins after I put her down and screams until she's picked up.

At night she sleeps next to me, which is fine but I'm finding the hourly disturbances really difficult and all the holding/ feeding means activities with my sons are difficult.

DH wants me to switch to bottle feeding as he sees it as a magic solution but I really don't think it's the 'food' that's the issues but rather the fact she won't now sleep alone.

Help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now